Register Now
killamch89

Playstation Mini

After Nintendo came out with the SNES mini, Sony felt like they needed to join the race and released the Playstation Mini on December 3. Do you consider this a good move by Sony? Or do you think it wil fail? Would you consider getting one of these and if so, what games are you looking forward to playing?

Do you mean the PlayStation Classic? If so, then I think that it was a massive mistake by them. When they came up with the idea to release this, I'm 100% sure they just wanted to create some extra revenue for the company and didn't care about the nostalgia for us. There were so many mistakes with it and it's nothing like the SNES Mini. The SNES Mini is still highly demanded, whereas the PlayStation Classic has just seen its price slashed to try and increase some sales. Not surprising at all really.

17 minutes ago, DarthHazard said:

Do you mean the PlayStation Classic? If so, then I think that it was a massive mistake by them. When they came up with the idea to release this, I'm 100% sure they just wanted to create some extra revenue for the company and didn't care about the nostalgia for us. There were so many mistakes with it and it's nothing like the SNES Mini. The SNES Mini is still highly demanded, whereas the PlayStation Classic has just seen its price slashed to try and increase some sales. Not surprising at all really.

No, I actually came across this on Sunday and I was like "they had one of these too?" When I googled it, it turns out they released one on December 3. I know Sony is just trying to gain extra revenue, this wasn't done to appease fans.

I can't seem to find anything on Google about a PlayStation Mini. Whenever I search that term on Google, all I'm getting results for is the PlayStation Classic. Some sites are using the term mini in those products as well - "PlayStation Classic Mini" but it's essentially the same product. Could you share the link you were checking out?

4 hours ago, DarthHazard said:

I can't seem to find anything on Google about a PlayStation Mini. Whenever I search that term on Google, all I'm getting results for is the PlayStation Classic. Some sites are using the term mini in those products as well - "PlayStation Classic Mini" but it's essentially the same product. Could you share the link you were checking out?

It is the same thing lol. Sorry, I can't remember where I was reading it exactly but they kept calling it Playstation Mini...

The PS Classic mini has sadly been a massive failure. A weak lineup of games combined with poor emulation and a high price point has doomed it to the bargain bin here in the UK. Shame. Could’ve been something truly special.

2 hours ago, DylanC said:

The PS Classic mini has sadly been a massive failure. A weak lineup of games combined with poor emulation and a high price point has doomed it to the bargain bin here in the UK. Shame. Could’ve been something truly special.

I am glad that consumers are starting to be more sensible when purchasing video games and not just buying into the nostalgia of a classic console especially when it is so poorly priced.

I think what you are referring is the Playstation Classic which had a reboot recently to support USB and the HDMI cables. So I guess based on that It's reasonable for them to reboot some of the old product. I don't think it's rivalry, they are in business after all. They have right to reboot their own products. 

On 1/6/2019 at 10:00 AM, killamch89 said:

I am glad that consumers are starting to be more sensible when purchasing video games and not just buying into the nostalgia of a classic console especially when it is so poorly priced.

With a very rare exception, I don't play a game if there's no nostalgia attached to it. What's wrong with that? I'm a classic gamer, and these flashback/classic/mini abominations make me want to puke. This girl needs her authentic classic systems. If it doesn't have to have brain surgery on it with a butter knife, or pliers to pull the god damn cartridge out, it's not a fucking Nintendo!

The same applies to all flashback shit. If it doesn't open somewhere to insert a cartridge or disc, it's not a fucking Nintendo/PlayStation/Sega/Atari and all the hundreds more that have been disgraced by this shit.

Edited by The Blackangel

Well they try to tap into that market, if they can make money off of it why not?

It is not really surprising, as now most companies are going to do silly stuff just for the money. It seems like a trend in a lot of companies, and it seems it worked for some, but I don't think in the long run it will be sustainable, I think we will see a console fall sometime soon.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:42 PM, DylanC said:

Seriously, there is nothing special about the PS Classic mini. It's a total hit and miss by Sony which I'm sure they regret the decision. 

On 1/13/2021 at 6:41 PM, Shole said:

Well they try to tap into that market, if they can make money off of it why not?

It is not really surprising, as now most companies are going to do silly stuff just for the money. It seems like a trend in a lot of companies, and it seems it worked for some, but I don't think in the long run it will be sustainable, I think we will see a console fall sometime soon.

Exactly - There is always a possibility that a project would be of interest to some people when it's pushed to them through the market. There is no harm in trying.