Register Now
StaceyPowers

Tips for Avoiding Fallout Sticking/Breaking?

I’ve noticed with both Fallout 3 and NV, the longer I play the game and the larger my save file gets, the more the map jerks or freezes to the point where eventually the games become unplayable.

I’ve heard that this is because the game has so much data to keep track of, and it eventually just overwhelms it. Anyone have any tips for minimizing this issue on my next playthroughs (i.e. not taking the exploding bodies perk)?

On 1/2/2019 at 4:24 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I’ve noticed with both Fallout 3 and NV, the longer I play the game and the larger my save file gets, the more the map jerks or freezes to the point where eventually the games become unplayable.

I’ve heard that this is because the game has so much data to keep track of, and it eventually just overwhelms it. Anyone have any tips for minimizing this issue on my next playthroughs (i.e. not taking the exploding bodies perk)?

I'm not sure what to tell you because I have Fallout New Vegas and I myself have never encountered this issue so I don't have any answers.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

I'm not sure what to tell you because I have Fallout New Vegas and I myself have never encountered this issue so I don't have any answers.

It isn't universal. I'm not sure why it affects some folks and not others. But it's definitely a known issue. I've run into some long discussions about it.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:16 PM, Alyxx said:

Seems to be mostly a console issue. PC gamers probably won't have this issue.

Possibly due to the consoles' inability to keep such a graphically intensive game running for very long periods. I wonder what console she has though? I mean, a Ps4 or Xbox one wouldn't struggle with Fallout NV so maybe it is an earlier one...

18 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Possibly due to the consoles' inability to keep such a graphically intensive game running for very long periods. I wonder what console she has though? I mean, a Ps4 or Xbox one wouldn't struggle with Fallout NV so maybe it is an earlier one...

It's due to how the games handle save files. They keep track of an exponentionally larger amount of stuff until the console's memory simply cannot handle it anymore.

1 hour ago, Alyxx said:

It's due to how the games handle save files. They keep track of an exponentionally larger amount of stuff until the console's memory simply cannot handle it anymore.

Indeed, this is the issue. I'm on a PS3.

Like, apparently picking the exploding corpses perk was a huge mistake. All those little bits to keep track of.

1 minute ago, StaceyPowers said:

Indeed, this is the issue. I'm on a PS3.

Like, apparently picking the exploding corpses perk was a huge mistake. All those little bits to keep track of.

I know you enjoy your PS3 but when do you plan on upgrading to a more modern console? Or will you be content with it for another 1-2 years?

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I know you enjoy your PS3 but when do you plan on upgrading to a more modern console? Or will you be content with it for another 1-2 years?

I have more than enough games to catch up on to be happy with it for another 1-2 years. I'm kind of banking on PS5 being backwards compatible with all my games so I can replace it with that and not have to have two consoles sitting around in my very tiny house.

4 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

I have more than enough games to catch up on to be happy with it for another 1-2 years. I'm kind of banking on PS5 being backwards compatible with all my games so I can replace it with that and not have to have two consoles sitting around in my very tiny house.

That's a smart solution actually and I hope they do include backward-compatibility in the next PlayStation.

13 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

I can't believe that this is the most open and shut case we've ever been involved in.

lol.

I know there are more factors than just the exploding corpses, but perhaps not taking that perk next time will be enough ...

2 hours ago, Alyxx said:

That's your problem right there...

Never again, lol.