Register Now
StaceyPowers

Atmospheric sounds in video games

This might sound weird, but one of the things I miss since finishing my first playthrough of Bioshock: Infinite are all the cool, atmospheric sounds in the game.

What other games do a great job creating a unique and immersive ambiance through the use of environment sounds?

I feel that The Forest has done a great job at scaring you by just using sounds. A quick description of the game: Your plane crashed on an island that seems to be filled with cannibalistic mutants. There are the cannibals (Common) and the creepy mutants (Rare). In this game, the purpose is to find your son, Timmy, who was abducted by one of the cannibals minutes after the plane crashed. It is one of the best survival horror games I have ever played, and the sounds during the morning, night and during cave expeditions are fantastic.

I think Silent Hill does a brilliant job with its atmospheric, ambient audio. Akira Yamaoka’s sound design in those games are legendary. Still hoping he returns to the horror genre agai  (the last horror/action game he scored was Shadows Of The Damned I believe).

2 hours ago, DylanC said:

I think Silent Hill does a brilliant job with its atmospheric, ambient audio. Akira Yamaoka’s sound design in those games are legendary. Still hoping he returns to the horror genre agai  (the last horror/action game he scored was Shadows Of The Damned I believe).

Resident Evil 2 remake and Resident Evil 7 has some of the best atmospheric sounds in the past year. The eeriness of the silence combined with the occasional zombie roar really keeps you on the edge of your seat.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Resident Evil 2 remake and Resident Evil 7 has some of the best atmospheric sounds in the past year. The eeriness of the silence combined with the occasional zombie roar really keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Great choices! The Resi games have always done atmospheric sound well. You’re right, RE2 remake and RE7 in particular are both superb.

1 hour ago, DylanC said:

Great choices! The Resi games have always done atmospheric sound well. You’re right, RE2 remake and RE7 in particular are both superb.

A female friend of mine has Resident Evil 7 and she made me play it. The only reason I didn't scream throughout the entire session is that my voice is way too deep for screaming.

Edited by killamch89

I think you should try some RPG, maybe Skyrim or Gothic. The feeling of roaming the country in Gothic is amazing, but scary. Especially at night. Am I allowed to post links here? I would show you a video with ambient sounds from Gothic.

7 hours ago, Bravosi said:

I think you should try some RPG, maybe Skyrim or Gothic. The feeling of roaming the country in Gothic is amazing, but scary. Especially at night. Am I allowed to post links here? I would show you a video with ambient sounds from Gothic.

From Youtube? sure! I am a huge Skyrim fan but the atmosphere doesn't quite match some of the games listed here. Resident Evil games especially the newer ones really do an amazing job with the atmospheric sounds.

I remember atmospheric sound was pretty good in the Homeworld game series. And then there was some interesting game named nightmare creatures. It was definitely something I remember for the sound. Then there were some android games that had some nice music say like Spirits game. And then there is little nightmare that too had some nice music in the background.