Register Now
UleTheVee

Bungie left Activision and keeps Destiny IP. Activision is bleeding money

I'm going to drop some of my professionalism for a bit here and say that I hate Activision a lot for their unethical business practices and their constant attempts at making a profit off gamers. Seeing Bungie leaving Activision and taking Destiny with them is some sort of catharsis by proxy to me because Bungie is kind of like an abused wife who has been kept quiet for years until she finally stopped the abusive husband (Activision) and left.

Destiny 2 was constantly mishandled, once Bungie saw how Activision wanted to implement more microtransactions into Destiny 2 after restoring goodwill with Destiny 2 Forsaken, they simply up and left. Years of tension basically manifested into a single departure.

Let us remember though, this situation is remarkably similar to Bungie when they left Microsoft as well. As such, this doesn't inspire me much confidence because Bungie could just hop to another publisher to do equally awful things (god forbid they get acquired by EA).

So yeah, what do you think about this situation?

19 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

I'm going to drop some of my professionalism for a bit here and say that I hate Activision a lot for their unethical business practices and their constant attempts at making a profit off gamers. Seeing Bungie leaving Activision and taking Destiny with them is some sort of catharsis by proxy to me because Bungie is kind of like an abused wife who has been kept quiet for years until she finally stopped the abusive husband (Activision) and left.

Destiny 2 was constantly mishandled, once Bungie saw how Activision wanted to implement more microtransactions into Destiny 2 after restoring goodwill with Destiny 2 Forsaken, they simply up and left. Years of tension basically manifested into a single departure.

Let us remember though, this situation is remarkably similar to Bungie when they left Microsoft as well. As such, this doesn't inspire me much confidence because Bungie could just hop to another publisher to do equally awful things (god forbid they get acquired by EA).

So yeah, what do you think about this situation?

Activision is sinking faster than EA or Bethesda and they don't have any series to really fall back like EA and their sports games. I hope Bungie learns from this and just stays independent and try to rebuild their reputation because it has really taken a beating over the past few years.

5 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Activision is sinking faster than EA or Bethesda and they don't have any series to really fall back like EA and their sports games. I hope Bungie learns from this and just stays independent and try to rebuild their reputation because it has really taken a beating over the past few years.

I sure do hope so too, bud. But sadly, this gaming market doesn't allow for independent creators to flourish that much. We can say whatever about how shitty activision was but right now, Bungie's future is uncertain.

5 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

I sure do hope so too, bud. But sadly, this gaming market doesn't allow for independent creators to flourish that much. We can say whatever about how shitty activision was but right now, Bungie's future is uncertain.

That is very true and they could go the crowdfunding route but how it would be received is another thing entirely.

4 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

Seriously?! Crowdfunding?! Are you damning them to hell or what?!

I don't know what their budget is like and the quality of games they want to make require a lot of capital. Unless they take out extremely huge loans(which they probably can't pay back), they won't be able to create a quality game. The first destiny almost cost them 1 billion to produce - I can't imagine where they would get that kind of capital from unless they are going to go down a different route.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I don't know what their budget is like and the quality of games they want to make require a lot of capital. Unless they take out extremely huge loans(which they probably can't pay back), they won't be able to create a quality game. The first destiny almost cost them 1 billion to produce - I can't imagine where they would get that kind of capital from unless they are going to go down a different route.

Well, considering that NetEase gave them 100 million dollars for a non-Destiny project. We're probably going to see something nice.

10 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

Well, considering that NetEase gave them 100 million dollars for a non-Destiny project. We're probably going to see something nice.

As you said earlier, I just hope they don't try to join EA because they would never recover from that.