Register Now
StaceyPowers

What makes for a poor quest design?

We’ve all encountered quests we’ve really hated, but in my experience, these fall into two categories.

1-Quests we hate for personal reasons (which might not matter to the average gamer).

2-Quests which are flat-out badly designed.

Of course, design is a somewhat subjective issue in and of itself.

So what do you think makes for a poorly designed quest? And what are some examples that stick out to you?

Repetitive quests (looking at you Far Cry 5). It's clear when developers/designers have no creativity and just create a large proportion of missions that are basically the same with some aspects changed slightly. A lot of shooter games suffer from this as well. Shoot enemies, get objective, run away. Rockstar is probably the best developer for avoiding this (out of the developers I have played). 

2 hours ago, DarthHazard said:

Repetitive quests (looking at you Far Cry 5). It's clear when developers/designers have no creativity and just create a large proportion of missions that are basically the same with some aspects changed slightly. A lot of shooter games suffer from this as well. Shoot enemies, get objective, run away. Rockstar is probably the best developer for avoiding this (out of the developers I have played). 

I agree that in FPS games in general, the missions all tend to follow the same formula - I much rather some chaos every stage to be honest. At least it will keep me on my toes.

Battlefield is probably one first-person shooter that doesn't do that which is good. The last Battlefield that I played was Battlefield One and I loved how they did their singleplayer campaign because you got to experience a lot of different situations and settings. You also ended up learning quite a bit about the first World War from that game which was nice. Hopefully, their campaign for the next Battlefield will be as good (fingers crossed it will be a modern setting as well).

1 hour ago, DarthHazard said:

Battlefield is probably one first-person shooter that doesn't do that which is good. The last Battlefield that I played was Battlefield One and I loved how they did their singleplayer campaign because you got to experience a lot of different situations and settings. You also ended up learning quite a bit about the first World War from that game which was nice. Hopefully, their campaign for the next Battlefield will be as good (fingers crossed it will be a modern setting as well).

Battlefield 5 sucks and the game is ridden with micro-transactions so I definitely won't be touching that one with a long pole.

20 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Battlefield 5 sucks and the game is ridden with micro-transactions so I definitely won't be touching that one with a long pole.

This year was the worst for first-person shooters for me. I didn't get either of Battlefield 5 or Black Ops 4 but ended up going for BO4 eventually. Ended up returning BO4 because I just couldn't justify the price tag for it. I didn't even think about getting Battlefield 5 because of the setting really. I'm not sure about the micro-transactions but it just feels way too similar to Battlefield One. It's like a reskin of the game so I didn't get it.

6 hours ago, DarthHazard said:

This year was the worst for first-person shooters for me. I didn't get either of Battlefield 5 or Black Ops 4 but ended up going for BO4 eventually. Ended up returning BO4 because I just couldn't justify the price tag for it. I didn't even think about getting Battlefield 5 because of the setting really. I'm not sure about the micro-transactions but it just feels way too similar to Battlefield One. It's like a reskin of the game so I didn't get it.

Both games are riddled with microtransactions at every turn but it is no surprise because both their publishers, EA and Activision are really infamous for that kind of approach.