Register Now
Cabrelle

Do you ever get bored of gaming?

I've been pretty jaded with the game industry since Gamergate. After what happened to those Guild Wars 2 employees it sounds like not much has improved. I don't purchase many AAA games any more outside of Nintendo because I find so many of them are worse versions of games from 10-20yrs ago with some flashier tech. I try to look to the indie space now to see what cool mechanics are coming out from them.

I also found that nowadays, a lot of videogames seem like work. There's so many little things to do in them. A bunch of action titles require your reflexes to be on point when you play them as well. Coming home from a long day of work, they sometimes feel like more work, so I'd rather chill with a dumb TV show.

Gaming can be extremely tiring after a while, which is why I think it's really important to get another hobby. As I write a LOT about video games for a lot of sites, it can be really tiring at times to be like 'well guess I'll play some MORE video games' after writing about them for so long. Thankfully I'm using my spare time exercising/learning another language. 

I take breaks from gaming in order to give my eyes a rest from looking at the screen.  I don't want to hurt my eyes from looking at a screen for long periods of time because they say that that isn't good on your eyeballs.  But I can't say that I've ever gotten bored with gaming.  As long as they come out with a new console periodically and new games for each console at a steady rate, then I don't see myself getting bored with gaming.

I think it's pretty normal to sometimes take a break from gaming. Time is a finite resource, I guess.

I tend to read more books, watch more films/tv and go out skateboarding more when I'm in one of these moods -- I still play the odd game of COD or AvP, though. And I always come back to gaming in a hardcore way after a while and it weirdly makes me enjoy/love the gaming experience more.

On 8/27/2018 at 1:25 AM, Aimee Hart said:

Gaming can be extremely tiring after a while, which is why I think it's really important to get another hobby. As I write a LOT about video games for a lot of sites, it can be really tiring at times to be like 'well guess I'll play some MORE video games' after writing about them for so long. Thankfully I'm using my spare time exercising/learning another language. 

That's so cool! What language are you learning? I tend to skateboard in my free time for my exercise. Gaming and writing about games is definitely pretty exhausting.

2 hours ago, DylanC said:

That's so cool! What language are you learning? I tend to skateboard in my free time for my exercise. Gaming and writing about games is definitely pretty exhausting.

I'm learning Japanese! It's an exciting language and can be really rewarding if you put your heart and soul into it. Skateboarding sounds fun! I've only been on a skateboard once and broke my arm so I think that may have put me off for life. 

1 hour ago, Aimee Hart said:

I'm learning Japanese! It's an exciting language and can be really rewarding if you put your heart and soul into it. Skateboarding sounds fun! I've only been on a skateboard once and broke my arm so I think that may have put me off for life. 

Wow, I've heard that Japanese is supposed to be one of the trickiest languages to learn. Is that true? I would love to visit Japan one day. It's on my bucket list!

Gosh, totally understand why you'd be put off skateboarding after an accident like that. Yeeesh, a broken arm is never fun 😞