Register Now
StaceyPowers

Worst experience with microtransactions?

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

What is the worst experience you ever have had gaming with microtransactions?

I have had quite a few but I remember playing a game named Football Superstars where unless you spent $50 dollars a month, you would be left behind every other P2W player and that was low tier spending.

Are micro-transactions also known as In-Game purchases/ad ons? If so, I never get pulled into buying unnecessary upgrades to speed through or make the video game easier. We've already paid for the video game, why should we be giving more money to the company for services which have already been delivered?

Work hard, overcome challenges and enjoy gaming. The whole objective of a PC game is to complete hard quests so you receive an  sense of accomplishment knowing you have completed a task without using micro transactions. 

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I have had quite a few but I remember playing a game named Football Superstars where unless you spent $50 dollars a month, you would be left behind every other P2W player and that was low tier spending.

That is really awful.

My worst experience was playing an MMO which was freemium. Unfortunately, the things you could purchase in-game actually lent a real advantage, so similarly, unless you had loads of cash to spend on the MMO, you were left way behind. So real-life class differences determined power stratification in the game world.

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

That is really awful.

My worst experience was playing an MMO which was freemium. Unfortunately, the things you could purchase in-game actually lent a real advantage, so similarly, unless you had loads of cash to spend on the MMO, you were left way behind. So real-life class differences determined power stratification in the game world.

Unfortunately, most MMOs follow that concept nowadays and it is really annoying to be honest.

I'm not sure they're the worst thing out there, but I'd say loot boxes have made me the most mad. 

When Overwatch came out I really loved it and at first I thought the loot boxes were a cute idea (this was the first game I had personally experienced them in). But then there was an event (I don't remember which one now) where I really wanted this specific Mercy skin for that event to the point where I broke down and bought some loot boxes to try to get it on the last day of the event. Well, suffice to say I bought a shit ton of loot boxes and still didn't get it. I didn't even have enough currency to buy it because they gave you so little of it when you got duplicate items and of course I kept getting a billion voice lines and sprays I didn't want. I was just so mad I quit playing the game and vowed to never buy anything random again. Haven't played Overwatch since. 

6 hours ago, Cleopatra92 said:

I'm not sure they're the worst thing out there, but I'd say loot boxes have made me the most mad. 

When Overwatch came out I really loved it and at first I thought the loot boxes were a cute idea (this was the first game I had personally experienced them in). But then there was an event (I don't remember which one now) where I really wanted this specific Mercy skin for that event to the point where I broke down and bought some loot boxes to try to get it on the last day of the event. Well, suffice to say I bought a shit ton of loot boxes and still didn't get it. I didn't even have enough currency to buy it because they gave you so little of it when you got duplicate items and of course I kept getting a billion voice lines and sprays I didn't want. I was just so mad I quit playing the game and vowed to never buy anything random again. Haven't played Overwatch since. 

Funny enough, I have never played Overwatch before but considering they are an Activision-Blizzard game, that kind of crappy micro-transaction scheme does not surprise me in the least bit. Their company and reputation were built up by those disgusting practices and it has been this way with them for a decade,

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Funny enough, I have never played Overwatch before but considering they are an Activision-Blizzard game, that kind of crappy micro-transaction scheme does not surprise me in the least bit. Their company and reputation were built up by those disgusting practices and it has been this way with them for a decade,

Here's the tl;dr you need Killa.

Edited by UleTheVee

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I can understand that. Honestly I don't mind buying something where I know what I'm getting most of the time. I know I'm guilty of buying some WoW store mounts... But I will never touch anything random, or any kind of currency. I guess that's just where my personal line is. 

3 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

Here's the tl;dr you need Killa.

*insert Jimquisition here*

Jim Sterling always knows what's up.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

This is why that Loot-box regulation needs to be passed everywhere internationally.

I'm usually against government involvement in private industries, but I feel like gambling is a reasonable, and needed, exception. And these damn things need to be recognized as the gambling that they are. I feel bad for people who are more casual and get hooked buying cards for FIFA or stuff like that, who just aren't as in touch with the gaming community to be warned of the potential harm these kinds of microtransactions have. Because tbh the gaming community are literally the only people who consistently point that out. 

5 minutes ago, Cleopatra92 said:

I can understand that. Honestly I don't mind buying something where I know what I'm getting most of the time. I know I'm guilty of buying some WoW store mounts... But I will never touch anything random, or any kind of currency. I guess that's just where my personal line is. 

Jim Sterling always knows what's up.

I'm usually against government involvement in private industries, but I feel like gambling is a reasonable, and needed, exception. And these damn things need to be recognized as the gambling that they are. I feel bad for people who are more casual and get hooked buying cards for FIFA or stuff like that, who just aren't as in touch with the gaming community to be warned of the potential harm these kinds of microtransactions have. Because tbh the gaming community are literally the only people who consistently point that out. 

EA is the primary culprit of this kind of practice and they are the only gaming company trying to fight this legislation in Belgium.

For me, it has to be FIFA. The problem is that EA still doesn't care about us, the customers, so the game has become even worse. The biggest issue, unfortunately, is that free players will always be behind those that pump money into the game. The funny thing is that even those that pay for packs get shafted from time to time. I've seen YouTubers putting thousands and thousands of pounds into packs to get nothing of value during special promotions.