Register Now
DanTheGamer

Build or out of the box

I should make sure I clarify my statements in the title of this thread. By build I mean you go to retailers like NewEgg and buy the individual parts for your computer and have them delivered to your home. Then with those parts you put together your computer piece by piece. By out of the box I mean you go to a manufacturer like Alien Ware, BestBuy, etc and it's already pre-built when you receive it.

With all of that, do you build your gaming rigs or do you let a manufacturer do it for you?

I prefer to build it myself because it is cheaper and it gives you a sense of satisfaction when you finished building one and it is working. You'll feel like that mad scientist when he awakened Frankenstein - You'll find yourself saying "It's Alive!!!"😂  Did I mention it gives you bragging rights? lol

Just now, UleTheVee said:

We literally are off the heels from the WalMart pre-built computer controversy. Imagine that.

And the study warranty policies that keep you from attempting to upgrade a system as well as the ridiculous repair costs of pre-built systems. Hell, the only reason I get a pre-built laptop is that the components are fused to the motherboard making it ridiculously difficult to upgrade. otherwise, I'd take a crack at building my own laptop.

51 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

And the study warranty policies that keep you from attempting to upgrade a system as well as the ridiculous repair costs of pre-built systems. Hell, the only reason I get a pre-built laptop is that the components are fused to the motherboard making it ridiculously difficult to upgrade. otherwise, I'd take a crack at building my own laptop.

I mean, laptops are oin a different realm entirely so I didn't even bother to talk about that.

1 hour ago, UleTheVee said:

I mean, laptops are oin a different realm entirely so I didn't even bother to talk about that.

I was just saying that if laptops were able to be built from scratch, I would definitely do it but it is way too difficult and expensive right now.

19 hours ago, Darth Maul said:

I bought my current computer but it's getting outdated, so the next time I'm shopping, I'll just buy the parts and build it up myself. 

Wise choice, my friend.

Like we've stated before, a lot of users have issues with their pre-builts and the fact that they can't be upgraded only makes things all the more asinine.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:32 PM, Darth Maul said:

I bought my current computer but it's getting outdated, so the next time I'm shopping, I'll just buy the parts and build it up myself. 

That's the way to go. Yes, feed your ego and build your own custom machine so that you can brag that you built something great. The level of accomplishment you will feel for building your first custom PC will stay with you for a lifetime.

On 9/12/2019 at 3:18 AM, skyfire said:

Haha. No seriously. 

I have good experience Lenovo and Dell so far. They make some decent machines. 

Lenovo, yes - Dell, not so sure because my parents had bought a desktop during my teenage years and ended up having to replace it twice because of faulty compnents. The worse part is the third also had a faulty component so they had to get a refund and we bought a Toshiba.