Register Now
DanTheGamer

Keeping gaming laptops cool

By this, I do not mean, how can we keep them hip and slick. I mean, keeping the laptop from burning your leg off and bursting into flames. I haven't ever owned a gaming laptop but I do know that it is a pain to keep them cool. Has anyone here figured out a practical way to keep your laptop moderately cool?

8 hours ago, DanTheGamer said:

By this, I do not mean, how can we keep them hip and slick. I mean, keeping the laptop from burning your leg off and bursting into flames. I haven't ever owned a gaming laptop but I do know that it is a pain to keep them cool. Has anyone here figured out a practical way to keep your laptop moderately cool?

Long story short, it's simply impossible. Gaming Laptops aren't meant to be put on your legs or on beds because their ventilation methods can be blocked. Games are also pretty demanding of resources like CPU/GPU and as such, the components will get warmer after long use.

8 hours ago, DanTheGamer said:

The one way I can tell you is to get a Laptop cooling pad and ensure it is the ones that can be slightly tilted off the surface and that should keep your gaming laptop cool (speaking as a gaming laptop owner.).

On 1/17/2019 at 6:48 PM, killamch89 said:

The one way I can tell you is to get a Laptop cooling pad and ensure it is the ones that can be slightly tilted off the surface and that should keep your gaming laptop cool (speaking as a gaming laptop owner.).

I was thinking that this would be the solution. I have heard rumors that the cooling pad can potentially make your laptop work harder and heat it up more. This to me doesn't seem quite right though 😕

I primarily use a PC I built for gaming, so please bear with me when I say I have a MacBook lol. 

But I do have a 2011 MacBook Pro (hopefully will upgrade next year lol). All I do to keep it running pretty cool is have it sit on a large, thin book. My 15" MacBook sits just about perfectly on this large Star Wars book I got when I was younger, and the book isn't too thick. This keeps it from being directly on my lap. 

"Laptops" aren't really made to be on your lap as I'm sure we all know lol. When I worked for Apple, we weren't even allowed to call the MacBook a laptop, it always had to be a notebook. Just because they didn't want people thinking they should keep them directly on their laps (which I totally understand lol). 

On 1/22/2019 at 2:35 PM, Cleopatra92 said:

I primarily use a PC I built for gaming, so please bear with me when I say I have a MacBook lol. 

But I do have a 2011 MacBook Pro (hopefully will upgrade next year lol). All I do to keep it running pretty cool is have it sit on a large, thin book. My 15" MacBook sits just about perfectly on this large Star Wars book I got when I was younger, and the book isn't too thick. This keeps it from being directly on my lap. 

"Laptops" aren't really made to be on your lap as I'm sure we all know lol. When I worked for Apple, we weren't even allowed to call the MacBook a laptop, it always had to be a notebook. Just because they didn't want people thinking they should keep them directly on their laps (which I totally understand lol). 

Maybe if you are trying to roast your genitals then it would be very useful. 🤣🤣🤣

Laptops these days are not the lap specific usage. Those days are long gone. Now processor end up giving so much heat. And they can be pretty bad to use on the bed too. So it's better to use the wood for the usage of the laptop. I have learned gaming laptops should be near fan or the AC. This way they are less likley to have heat issues. Also make sure to keep them away from direct sunlight. 

On 1/22/2019 at 12:35 PM, Cleopatra92 said:

MacBook is certainly not the ideal machine to play games but what one can do if he loves playing games and only have MacBook? Well he can certainly play some games on its MacBook but he must use some cooling pad to prevent it from overheating.

All the Best with your gaming and your MacBook 🙂

On 1/22/2019 at 7:35 PM, Cleopatra92 said:

Sorry (but not sorry) to shit on Apple but they are a shitty company with shitty and massively overpriced products and customer service so bad it's almost beyond comprehension.  Their "genius'" charge the price for full a replacement for issues that a capable engineer can fix in just a few minutes. Ask for $1000 for a fast charging phone when other compaines have had the feature for 2 years, then have the BALLS to not even include a fast charger!  They even expect customers who already spent $5000 to spend another $1000 For a monitor stand... WITHOUT the monitor!  You know what the worst thing is, their fanboys keep defending them for all this!

I get that back in the day that Apple Mac's had some advantages for professional applications like music/video production and faster boot up times but none of that is true anymore.  Apple is garbage.

I guess that's one of the major downsides of a gaming laptop. Its portability is great, but laptops were never really designed for gaming. But technology is evolving all the time, so I won't be surprised when a perfect gaming laptop is created.

On 6/29/2020 at 3:29 AM, victor55 said:

MacBook is certainly not the ideal machine to play games but what one can do if he loves playing games and only have MacBook?

However I have noticed that most of the modern macbooks are good machines to make the android games. As in some gaming engines that run on mac can deploy the code of the android app from the mac too. So they can be a good machine for game development. 

On 6/29/2020 at 8:39 AM, Demon_skeith said:

I don't even use my laptop for gaming and I had to get a cooling pad for it, I recommend one with extending legs so it can sit up and still get that air flow no matter how you sit.

I would also use this option.

They are making them slimmer too and cramming all them working parts in, only means more heat. Use a cooling pad and turn on your cooler boost function and get them fans moving whilst gaming. Don't worry about over-working your fans a they can be easily replaced for little amount of money. Always look after you GPU and CPU!