Register Now
DarthHazard

Game Difficulty

Certain games, almost always ones with singleplayer game modes, tend to let users choose a difficulty for the game. What type of difficulty do you guys tend to go for when playing a game? Do you like to go for an easy difficulty and enjoy the game or for a harder difficulty so that you challenge yourself?

Honestly, for me, it depends on the game. For example, with FIFA I tend to go for the second hardest difficulty so that the singleplayer games are slightly challenging and not boring.

This isn't always the case, but I usually start the game on Normal or Easy, depending on the game. I just like to get a good feel for the systems before I start diving into the higher difficulties. I play most games I like multiple times though so I guess that's why that works for me lol

When I start off for the first time with a game I will usually go for a normal mode. I do this because it is my belief that the "Normal" mode is how the game will be most enjoyed as it is a baseline in regards to difficulty. If I can manage to master Normal I will increase difficulty.

With games that have a difficulty choice, if I've never played the game before, I usually go for the easy setting. That lets get an understanding of the game, learn the story, see how it works, and so on. After I've played it a couple times, then I start choosing the higher difficulty levels when I start new games.

On 2/5/2020 at 11:54 PM, skyfire said:

I think in order to test people how they respond to certain situations, devs should make custom difficulty as some games do offer that. 

Mind = blown. I've never heard of anything like that before! That's such an interesting idea, to make a game where the difficulty of the gameplay changes depending on how you play. Does anyone know of any specific titles that do that?

Games makes people physically active. You need content for your games and this content will require you to have certain skills, and sooner or later you will run into limitations what you yourself will be able to do and the tools you are working with. Making games is hard, it takes a lot of time and hard work to create something of value.

Despite what the "Soul's" community says, multiple difficulty options are a good thing. It forces game developers to consider story, characters, plot, athstetics, creativityandchallenge that extends beyond crippling the player and/or cryptic combat solutions taking a challenge from those who want it. In other words, difficulty options are a good thing. 

Never above Normal difficulty unless it's for an achievement after completing the game the first time. I'm very quick nowadays to put the game to a lower difficulty or resort to a cheat engine because I'm no longer concerned about 'proving myself' to just about anyone, least of all a video game.

This depends on the game, some games I find infuriating even on easy difficulty, while other games are highly enjoyable on the highest possible setting like insanity or whatever it is called.

If a game becomes frustrating I even resort to modifying it or cheating to make it a better experience.

What I hate the most is when the solution to a problem does not come naturally in a game. Instead of thinking about solving the problem the player has to guess wtf the designer was thinking.

Playing a new game and at times only interested in the storyline rather then how hard that game is setup. Battlefront 2 for example that I got for free, doing the story and only interested about the story then how hard the game is to play. If I did the story 6 times LOL then maybe hard mod is the option. 

Sometimes as I progress and get really good in a game I change it to a harder setting. It also helps immersion in open worlds by taking away corner maps and points of interest. But that for me is only in exploration mode. There is no way to play some of the bigger games without a guide. Maybe it's possible if you get familiar with your surroundings.