Register Now
StaceyPowers

Did you side with the Empire or the Stormcloaks in Skyrim?

For Skyrim players here, I was just curious which of you sided with the Empire versus the Stormcloaks? Obviously you may have played through with both sides, but which do you think actually was best for Skyrim in terms of politics/dealing with the Aldmeri threat?

I went with the Empire since they seem like the lesser of two evils versus the Aldmeri Dominion, and all that is holding them off. I figured Ulfric’s war for independence weakens Skyrim either way. Plus, the Empire’s religious oppression is messed up, but at least it was done as a grudging last resort. By contrast I felt the Stormcloaks were enthusiastically racist, and I couldn’t get behind that.

As far as the game itself goes, the Empire is much more fun and satisfying to side with. The Stormcloaks are annoying and sound like idiots a lot of the time. And I love dressing up in the Empire's armor much more lol. And General Tullius is a great character imo. 

However, I think when I think about the lore overall, Skyrim is screwed either way. It really comes down to if they want to go down with the ship (the Empire) or try to swim out in the ocean on their own and drown (the Stormcloaks). 

I felt like it was quite clear that the Aldmeri Dominion is poised to take over as it stands. The Empire was clearly too weak to defeat them before, and outlawing the god that your entire empire was based on and founded by was something that crippled it even more. I would imagine that if we knew more of what was happening outside of Skyrim after Talos was outlawed, that Skyrim wouldn't be the only province that was upset by this. Any province run primarily by humans should be extremely concerned by this. 

All that being said, I think it sounds more like the Nords to try to swim in the ocean all on their lonesome lol. I feel like the canon ending will be the Stormcloaks winning, but we'll have to wait a while to see for sure. 

1 hour ago, Cleopatra92 said:

As far as the game itself goes, the Empire is much more fun and satisfying to side with. The Stormcloaks are annoying and sound like idiots a lot of the time. And I love dressing up in the Empire's armor much more lol. And General Tullius is a great character imo. 

However, I think when I think about the lore overall, Skyrim is screwed either way. It really comes down to if they want to go down with the ship (the Empire) or try to swim out in the ocean on their own and drown (the Stormcloaks). 

I felt like it was quite clear that the Aldmeri Dominion is poised to take over as it stands. The Empire was clearly too weak to defeat them before, and outlawing the god that your entire empire was based on and founded by was something that crippled it even more. I would imagine that if we knew more of what was happening outside of Skyrim after Talos was outlawed, that Skyrim wouldn't be the only province that was upset by this. Any province run primarily by humans should be extremely concerned by this. 

All that being said, I think it sounds more like the Nords to try to swim in the ocean all on their lonesome lol. I feel like the canon ending will be the Stormcloaks winning, but we'll have to wait a while to see for sure. 

Excellent analysis. I agree with pretty much everything you said here. Good point too about the Nords being likely to swim out on their own to drown. You may be right.

On 1/23/2019 at 1:48 PM, Cleopatra92 said:

It's true though. You basically have two choices do you want to be ruled by a group that is racist towards anything other than the elves or to an extent imperials or would like to be ruled by a faction that is racist towards anything other than Nords. I wish there was a kill them all choice in the game because I would have vanquished them both but there is one thing I liked about this setup though. It mirrors real life in that most political parties only care about their high ranking members and nobody else really.

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It's true though. You basically have two choices do you want to be ruled by a group that is racist towards anything other than the elves or to an extent imperials or would like to be ruled by a faction that is racist towards anything other than Nords. I wish there was a kill them all choice in the game because I would have vanquished them both but there is one thing I liked about this setup though. It mirrors real life in that most political parties only care about their high ranking members and nobody else really.

The way that the lore is heading now is leading to a racial conflict if you ask me. Mer vs. man.

Assuming that both of these factions wouldn't try to remain neutral, I would imagine the Argonians would side with the humans since they were enslaved by the Dunmer for so long. The Khajit I would imagine would side with the elves, mainly because I think that they would look like the winning side at the start lol. 

Edited by Cleopatra92

8 hours ago, Cleopatra92 said:

The way that the lore is heading now is leading to a racial conflict if you ask me. Mer vs. man.

Assuming that both of these factions wouldn't try to remain neutral, I would imagine the Argonians would side with the humans since they were enslaved by the Dunmer for so long. The Khajit I would imagine would side with the elves, mainly because I think that they would look like the winning side at the start lol. 

The Khajits will join the side with the most coins 🤣. Seriously though, If I was either side, I would definitely get rid of them just because of how treacherous those Khajits are.