Register Now
StaceyPowers

The Forsworn in Skyrim: Opinions?

Those who play Skyrim, where do you weigh in on the Forsworn situation in the Reach?

Setting aside the annoying fact that the Forsworn are programmed to attack you even after you help them, I can easily get behind their cause, especially given the information you can find in a couple of the books in-game regarding their history and how they administrated the region before they lost power. I wish there were a quest to help them take back the Reach.

On 1/22/2019 at 4:34 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Those who play Skyrim, where do you weigh in on the Forsworn situation in the Reach?

Setting aside the annoying fact that the Forsworn are programmed to attack you even after you help them, I can easily get behind their cause, especially given the information you can find in a couple of the books in-game regarding their history and how they administrated the region before they lost power. I wish there were a quest to help them take back the Reach.

I do sympathize with their history but at the same time, I think they are too dangerous and unpredictable a faction to deal with. I'd have to think long and hard about it but one of the reasons I think they still attack you even though you helped them in Skyrim is the deep hatred for the Nords and with the Dragonborn being a Nord - well, you see where I am going with this.

18 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I do sympathize with their history but at the same time, I think they are too dangerous and unpredictable a faction to deal with. I'd have to think long and hard about it but one of the reasons I think they still attack you even though you helped them in Skyrim is the deep hatred for the Nords and with the Dragonborn being a Nord - well, you see where I am going with this.

Is it canon that the Dragonborn is a Nord? I always assumed the Dragonborn was just whatever race the player selects. I'm not sure I even assumed the character is native to Skyrim.

4 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Is it canon that the Dragonborn is a Nord? I always assumed the Dragonborn was just whatever race the player selects. I'm not sure I even assumed the character is native to Skyrim.

In the lore, the Dragonborn is actually a Nord so I always assumed it was what caused the hostility from the Forsworn.

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

In the lore, the Dragonborn is actually a Nord so I always assumed it was what caused the hostility from the Forsworn.

I had no idea, lol. That's ironic. On my first playthrough, I was an Argonian, and imagined I was a foreigner. On my second, I'm an Orc, and imagine that I'm (like the Forsworn) another displaced native. 

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I had no idea, lol. That's ironic. On my first playthrough, I was an Argonian, and imagined I was a foreigner. On my second, I'm an Orc, and imagine that I'm (like the Forsworn) another displaced native. 

The game gives you that option but the Dragonborn was always a Nord and also in the lore, the Dragonborn's voice could level whole cities but he is completely nerfed in Skyrim.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

The game gives you that option but the Dragonborn was always a Nord and also in the lore, the Dragonborn's voice could level whole cities but he is completely nerfed in Skyrim.

Have any reference links to share? I'd like to learn more.

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Have any reference links to share? I'd like to learn more.

I'll have to look it up again but it was a former guildmate who also loves elder scrolls games that showed me a couple years ago. Wait I think I found it, he shared this link with it me. It has everything on the Elder Scroll series and the wiki pages also have quite a bit of information.

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'll have to look it up again but it was a former guildmate who also loves elder scrolls games that showed me a couple years ago. Wait I think I found it, he shared this link with it me. It has everything on the Elder Scroll series and the wiki pages also have quite a bit of information.

Awesome, thank you!

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

@LadyDay Wondering if you would like to chime in on this topic 🙂 I know a lot of people hate the Forsworn, but they're like my main interest in Skyrim, so I wanted to know what you make of them.

I don't know too much about them, but I've read a bit when I encountered them. I've actually been having some positive thoughts about them, like you (again. 😄 ) They are kind of crushed in the land they belong to. On the other hand they attack so aggressively, I have to kill them before they kill me. I do understand why they'd be aggressive towards anybody who try to lay claim to their land. So I'm not quite decided, but leaning towards wanting to support them. They do go about things in a very aggressive way though! Also, they have a nice fashion sense! 😄

Did you play The Forsworn Conspiracy quest yet? That convinced me to take their side, which was reinforced when I read The Bear of Markarth (which also shed a lot of light on Ulfric). Plus, there is the fact that the spriggans are hostile to all but them. Seems to me that nature’s vote is cast for them as well.

Their permanent aggro thing drives me nuts. I see it as an artifact of the fact that the devs must’ve thought, “Let’s put something other than regular bandits here. We’ll just have angry natives instead!”

Total agreement on their fashion sense. I’ve read that technically, it is (or was, in some era) usually accepted military custom that if you wear the uniform of a particular army and act in its name, you are considered a member by foreign powers. So I dress like a Forsworn and do all in their name =D  @LadyDay