Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games with the best and worst menu designs?

Which games do you feel have the best and worst menu systems?

I like the minimalism of the menus in The Las of Us a lot, but I do find them less than intuitive in some ways.

The worst menus I’ve dealt with so far are the convoluted ones in Dragon Age: Origins. I am used to them by now, but the initial learning curve was ridiculously steep for me.

Best: Probably Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Just really intuitive and easy to grasp. And the inventory management is actually somewhat fun.

Worst: Deus Ex: The Fall just to stay on the same thread. Has really finnicky touch screen emulation so using it with a mouse is just a pain in the ass.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:51 PM, StaceyPowers said:

The worst menus I’ve dealt with so far are the convoluted ones in Dragon Age: Origins. I am used to them by now, but the initial learning curve was ridiculously steep for me.

What did you dislike about Origins' menus? 

I'm just curious as someone who prefers how that game controlled over the later installments. But I do play on PC so that could be a part of it if you played it on console. 

15 hours ago, Cleopatra92 said:

What did you dislike about Origins' menus? 

I'm just curious as someone who prefers how that game controlled over the later installments. But I do play on PC so that could be a part of it if you played it on console. 

I'm on PS3. I think it's just that there are so darn many screens, and I never remember which order they are in, so I always go the most convoluted way around to reach the quest list, etc. And a lot of screens (i.e. herbalism) I had to look up online how to find.

I haven't started Dragon Age 2 yet, I just finished Awakening. I've heard that the menus get even more annoying ... I can't wait, lol.

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

I'm on PS3. I think it's just that there are so darn many screens, and I never remember which order they are in, so I always go the most convoluted way around to reach the quest list, etc. And a lot of screens (i.e. herbalism) I had to look up online how to find.

I haven't started Dragon Age 2 yet, I just finished Awakening. I've heard that the menus get even more annoying ... I can't wait, lol.

I can completely understand being frustrated by it on consoles lol. I primarily play PC and the menus work great there but when I play on my Xbox instead I can really notice that they work terribly there in comparison lol 

Remember old Age of Empire series games? Those had some worst graphics. Not because the theme was bad. But the graphics was extremely poor. But they had a good them like paypyrus paper as menu. It was not that bad but the graphics made it look really hard to read. And often it was not something I'd play with. But I played only for gaming experience as it was good game. 

3 minutes ago, skyfire said:

Remember old Age of Empire series games? Those had some worst graphics. Not because the theme was bad. But the graphics was extremely poor. But they had a good them like paypyrus paper as menu. It was not that bad but the graphics made it look really hard to read. And often it was not something I'd play with. But I played only for gaming experience as it was good game. 

Well it was made in 1997 what do you expect xD 
Late 90's was mix of old and new videogame technology

40 minutes ago, DylanC said:

Skyrim and Oblivion’s got good, smooth menu design. In regards to worst, I’d have to go for something like Dragon Age 2. I did get used to DA2’s wonky menus after a while, though.

Skyrim and Oblivion are top notch. Also a fan of Fallout 3 and 4.

One that I didnt liked very much at first was Fallout New vegas Pip boy, the menu is in someways the same as Skyrim, but for some reason I never liked it. It always felt confusing scrolling through the inventory and the map.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:21 PM, kingpotato said:

One that I didnt liked very much at first was Fallout New vegas Pip boy, the menu is in someways the same as Skyrim, but for some reason I never liked it. It always felt confusing scrolling through the inventory and the map.

I like Skyrim's menus a bit more than Fallout's menus, but it's hard for me to put my finger on why. But nothing is more annoying than switching back and forth between Skyrim and Fallout and continually mixing up what buttons to press. The menu systems are so similar ... but just different enough that it trips up my brain. It usually takes me a day or two to "reset" mentally, and I still end up doing a lot of wrong button presses on a continuous basis. 

@DylanC You mentioned previously that you like Skyrim's menus. How do they compare to Fallout's menus in your opinion? Incidentally, I actually like DA II's menus much more than Origin's menus. The radial thing is a lot faster to navigate through than having to press R1 or L1 (or whatever it was) continuously in Origins to get to the screen I want.