Register Now
Matt Morgans

Ask Matt

So the guilt of not being involved in the forums enough finally got to me! 😅 Seeing as most of my fellow writers have already done topics like this, it makes sense to follow suit. I've been writing for VGR since the website began, so if you're here you've probably seen some of my work on Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Cyberpunk, Witcher, etc.

If you have any questions, fire away and I'll answer as best I can!

Fallout 76 BETA.jpg

1 minute ago, Katri Marcell said:

What part of the day is your favorite and why?

Probably about 2 PM on sunny days, because the sun shines through the window of my workspace throughout the morning but by 2 o'clock it's no longer shining directly on my monitors, so I can work in a bright room without having to close any curtains. 😊

Just now, Katri Marcell said:

What place in the UK one has to visit that not many people know about?

Great question, and there's a lot of good answers. If I had to pick just a couple, I'd recommend Cartmel in Cumbria, which is a tiny village close to where I live that inexplicably has two Michelin star restaurants (it's also the home of sticky toffee pudding). Way down south, I'd also highly recommend the Minack Theatre in Cornwall. It's an open-air theatre built into the side of a cliff overlooking the sea. I've seen a few different productions there and it's such a unique experience!

Musketeers-580x387.jpg

On 1/26/2019 at 9:37 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Favorite quests in any Bethesda games you play?

Hmmm. I actually don't have a very high opinion of Bethesda's writing and quest design; I feel that they tend to shine in open world design, but are often quite shallow when it comes to story. (Certainly when compared to games like Dragon Age Inquisition, The Witcher 3, or even Assassin's Creed Odyssey, more recently.) Some of the quests from Shivering Isles were particularly good, at least for their entertainment factor, and I did enjoy Skyrim's Dragonborn DLC main storyline, though definitely from nostalgia for Morrowind's Bloodmoon DLC to some extent. In truth, I wish Bethesda would put more time and effort into their story-telling - I can only hope that they do so for Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6!

4 minutes ago, Matt Morgans said:

Hmmm. I actually don't have a very high opinion of Bethesda's writing and quest design; I feel that they tend to shine in open world design, but are often quite shallow when it comes to story. (Certainly when compared to games like Dragon Age Inquisition, The Witcher 3, or even Assassin's Creed Odyssey, more recently.) Some of the quests from Shivering Isles were particularly good, at least for their entertainment factor, and I did enjoy Skyrim's Dragonborn DLC main storyline, though definitely from nostalgia for Morrowind's Bloodmoon DLC to some extent. In truth, I wish Bethesda would put more time and effort into their story-telling - I can only hope that they do so for Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6!

I feel the exact same way about the issue - exactly why I asked :) By the way, I really enjoy your articles, so it's great to see you here on the forum!

1 minute ago, StaceyPowers said:

Follow-up question: What video games have the best character development?

In my experience, the best character development in any game is in The Witcher 3; there's such a massive difference in character development when you play a totally pre-determined character, as opposed to the blank slates you play in most Bethesda games. Having a single character lets the writers go so much more in-depth with character relationships, etc. (plus CD Projekt Red put a colossal amount of story in that game!) I think Dragon Age Inquisition does a fantastic job as well - perhaps the best in my opinion for a game where you don't play a pre-determined character. The Mass Effect series did a great job too, but I think for a single game, Inquisition had stronger character development than any single Mass Effect title.

17 hours ago, Matt Morgans said:

I think Dragon Age Inquisition does a fantastic job as well - perhaps the best in my opinion for a game where you don't play a pre-determined character.

That's very exciting. I just finished my first playthrough of Origins and the DLCs, and am about to start DA II.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:31 AM, DC said:

What living person, other than family members, do you most admire and why?

I could definitely name a ton of people who I admire in one way or another. It's tough to narrow down. I'm quite political when I'm not writing gaming news, and my first thought is people like Owen Jones, Ash Sarkar, and Mike Galsworthy, who do excellent journalistic work in the UK which I think is highly admirable; people who aren't afraid of speaking truth to power and cutting through propaganda and misleading stories to get to the facts. I don't want to be a political reporter myself, but there's still a lot I've learned as a reporter from reading their analysis, etc.