Register Now
StaceyPowers

Fast traveling in open world games

In huge open world games where fast traveling is an option, how often do you do it, and do you have any “rules” for allowing yourself?

Normally, I try to avoid fast traveling unless it’s to help me get around some kind of a glitch, or because I forgot to do something back in a previous location (i.e. buy something before I left). The rest of the time, I try to walk or use in-game transit options.

4 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

In huge open world games where fast traveling is an option, how often do you do it, and do you have any “rules” for allowing yourself?

Normally, I try to avoid fast traveling unless it’s to help me get around some kind of a glitch, or because I forgot to do something back in a previous location (i.e. buy something before I left). The rest of the time, I try to walk or use in-game transit options.

I use it if it's there just because most times, I cannot be bothered to travel half-way across a map and having to deal with random fights/events etc. I mean occasionally when I am looking to lay waste to any and everything, I won't use fast travel in that instance because I am in no rush.

5 hours ago, Alyxx said:

I usually exploit the fuck out of fast traveling since I'm not always in the mood to travel by foot.

I agree. I hate when you travel by foot and nearly reach your destination and then bam! you're in a boss battle or something. It is really a pain especially when you weren't really prepared for it and get killed.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I agree. I hate when you travel by foot and nearly reach your destination and then bam! you're in a boss battle or something. It is really a pain especially when you weren't really prepared for it and get killed.

Well, if I am travelling on foot, usually it's cause I wanna earn some extra XP anyway so in that case I don't mind it.

13 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Well, if I am travelling on foot, usually it's cause I wanna earn some extra XP anyway so in that case I don't mind it.

I was talking in terms of the situation where you are running extremely short on supplies/equipment and you trying to get to a town to re-stock.

I remember in past there were some games with infinite space and slow speed for characters. And after some time many games have stpped offering that and they limited the movement. I think having fast speed in open world is a better approach too. But having limited constraints like room for game and how much one can travel would be definitely be much better approach. 

If some of you played my modded Skyrim game, you would see why I use fast travel. There are literally waves of enemies everywhere I turn when I step outside the cities in addition to NPCs that are constantly hunting me down specifically and literally appear out of nowhere. I cannot stay in a specific location for more than 24 hours and even that is stretching it.

It depends on how I'm feeling and what the game is really. For example, with games like Red Dead Redemption 2 or even Grand Theft Auto, I tend to not use the fast travel options that much (taxi in Grand Theft Auto V and the train/stage coach in Red Dead Redemption) because it's actually nice to go through the map slowly using either a horse or a car. But if I'm lazy or if the location is really far away, then I will definitely use the fast travel option.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:55 PM, DarthHazard said:

It depends on how I'm feeling and what the game is really. For example, with games like Red Dead Redemption 2 or even Grand Theft Auto, I tend to not use the fast travel options that much (taxi in Grand Theft Auto V and the train/stage coach in Red Dead Redemption) because it's actually nice to go through the map slowly using either a horse or a car. But if I'm lazy or if the location is really far away, then I will definitely use the fast travel option.

It's true, the scenery in these games is amazing so you don't want to really use the fast travel option at all.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:25 AM, DarthHazard said:

Those games still have world limits though they are not really the open world game by definition. Try 'No man's sky'. And you will find that the open world concept by definition applies here. And it seems like fast travelling needs to be used often to even navigate properly. Chances of getting lost are more there. I have not seen that to be the case with RDR2.