Register Now
Alexander.

Building a PC

Rather than my Gaming Laptop, I'm considering to sell this device and build a desktop-PC instead. Doing some research, I found out that desktops have a better performance than a Laptop for Gaming. I'm wondering if there are there any easy YouTube Tutorials to follow when building a PC for a first time? What parts would everyone reccomend for under £1000.00?

Edited by xXInfectedXx

I would watch several different videos about building it. I think that helped me the most the first time I did it because I saw a lot of different possibilities and felt more prepared when I actually got all of my parts ready to go. 

As far as picking the parts you want, https://pcpartpicker.com/ is the way to go. This will help make sure the things you're picking actually work together, plus it will tell you how much the build you've picked out costs. 

For gaming, I would spend the most on your graphics card of course. RAM and processor next, and then the rest. As a general guideline. 

10 hours ago, Cleopatra92 said:

I would watch several different videos about building it. I think that helped me the most the first time I did it because I saw a lot of different possibilities and felt more prepared when I actually got all of my parts ready to go. 

As far as picking the parts you want, https://pcpartpicker.com/ is the way to go. This will help make sure the things you're picking actually work together, plus it will tell you how much the build you've picked out costs. 

For gaming, I would spend the most on your graphics card of course. RAM and processor next, and then the rest. As a general guideline. 

I told him the same thing in another post - Pcpartpicker is the place to go but it also helps to review the suggested build on forums like linustechtipsforum to get some valuable answers about the build.

Those new AMD processors coming out soon are absolutely amazing and the prices are unbelievably reasonable. Intel is getting a hammering by AMD and with all those new exploits on Intel CPUs causing Intel to disable hyperthreading, it is looking very bleak for Intel.

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

New series of AMD processors is in Ryzen 5 3XXX series. This is one of the expensive and also one good series for those who are into 3D development and the gaming. I think for gaming it's worth it. 

They are far more powerful than the current line of Intel processors and are cheaper too. On top of that, you won't have to be dealing with the hyperthreading exploits like Zombie among others.

Recently checked out the AMDs Ryzen series processors. And it seems like they can be good processors for next few years. I cant think of Intels series that can compete with the same. I have to read a bit more on that. 

On 5/30/2019 at 6:38 AM, skyfire said:

Recently checked out the AMDs Ryzen series processors. And it seems like they can be good processors for next few years. I cant think of Intels series that can compete with the same. I have to read a bit more on that. 

Intel has had to disable hyperthreading on some of their CPUs due to some new exploits so the performance of their chips absolutely sucks.

21 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yes I won't really recommend them for gaming. Considering that spectre related meltdown issue was from software side for their processor. I think AMD took the lead in the gaming  against them. 

AMD is lightyears ahead of Intel right now with Intel struggling to come up with anything to counteract AMD. They'll be in the wilderness for years to come just like AMD was which isn't a good thing because competition keeps prices low and brings constant innovation. 

On 6/18/2019 at 10:31 PM, skyfire said:

Indeed they are light years ahead. And they are also working on the overheat and other issues. I think gaming and the 3D or high speed computing is pretty much taken care of by the AMD lot better now a days. 

AMD integrated graphics is also a lot better than the Intel counterpart in every way and the best thing about the AMD integrated graphics is that they work well with the AMD graphic cards to give better graphical performances. Whereas, Intel's integrated graphics doesn't work well with Nvidia or AMD graphic cards.

On 8/14/2019 at 8:29 PM, skyfire said:

I may consider getting AMD laptop. I don't know if the Lenovo has it this year a model which is worth buying. My mostly concern is RAM and also processor that can play some good games.

I'd personally wait until early next year when the brand new AMD Ryzen laptop processors are launched because they will be far more powerful than the current AMD laptops.