Register Now
StaceyPowers

Favorite classic PC games?

On 3/9/2019 at 7:20 AM, Shine_Spirit said:

It's amazing to see how popular DOOM is still nowadays, haha! My only "regreat" about this game (and it's not related to the game itself, but to the story) it's because the live action movie (with The Rock)... Oh my, what a terrible movie, haha!

Indeed movie was bad. same goes for house of dead game vs movie.. same goes for jurassic park movie where game was poor. I mean look at the gameplay. it shows how bad it was. 

I'm not sure the name - nor if it's a classic - however, there was a game (for Apple) back in the early 90s which was about World War II.  It focused on bombing Japanese held islands in the Pacific.  OK, who has played it and does anyone remember the name?  I mean, I'm 42 now - so that was so long ago!

Edited by Jayson

On 3/10/2019 at 12:29 AM, skyfire said:

Indeed movie was bad. same goes for house of dead game vs movie.. same goes for jurassic park movie where game was poor. I mean look at the gameplay. it shows how bad it was. 

I remember that at the time, I was really looking forward to the release of the movie (DOOM)... But honestly, I would rather not have watched it (haha!). The movie was bad in every way possible and the worst of it is to see that the potential was miserably lost.

I think they made a sequel to this Duke Nukem 3D game(1996) - but I bought this original game at the time, and it came in a big box - but I am not sure what I did with it. The sequel was called Duke Nukem Forever and came out in 2011, I believe.

On 4/14/2019 at 7:05 AM, Shine_Spirit said:

I remember that at the time, I was really looking forward to the release of the movie (DOOM)... But honestly, I would rather not have watched it (haha!). The movie was bad in every way possible and the worst of it is to see that the potential was miserably lost.

I think DOOM had a good start and scenario but ending and other parts at which it sucked. I don't think it is possible to do every game some justice though. Classic games are harder to make modern these days. 

I grew up playing MechWarrior games. It was the start of my absolute love for mech-related media. The ones I played in particular were MechWarrior 2: 31st Century CombatMechWarrior 4: Vengeance (+ Black Knight expansion), and MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries (+ MekTek mech pack mod, no longer being distributed)

My absolute favorite among them was easily 4: Mercenaries. Lots of old-school fans hail MechWarrior 3 as the best, or at the very least, the most accurate to the tabletop game the series spun off from, BattleTech. I never played MechWarrior 3, however. I wish I had; I want to know what I was missing. Alas, it may not be able to run on modern systems. It’s also a huge pain in the rear end to get MechWarrior 2 to run anymore; to do it, you need an external app or two and an occult ritual. 😂

8 hours ago, Executor Akamia said:

I grew up playing MechWarrior games. It was the start of my absolute love for mech-related media. The ones I played in particular were MechWarrior 2: 31st Century CombatMechWarrior 4: Vengeance (+ Black Knight expansion), and MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries (+ MekTek mech pack mod, no longer being distributed)

My absolute favorite among them was easily 4: Mercenaries. Lots of old-school fans hail MechWarrior 3 as the best, or at the very least, the most accurate to the tabletop game the series spun off from, BattleTech. I never played MechWarrior 3, however. I wish I had; I want to know what I was missing. Alas, it may not be able to run on modern systems. It’s also a huge pain in the rear end to get MechWarrior 2 to run anymore; to do it, you need an external app or two and an occult ritual. 😂

Have you ever played any of the Armored Core games for the Sony consoles or Mechassault for the Xbox? I have been looking for a new Mech game since Armored Core 6 won't be coming out anytime soon and Microsoft stopped making the Mechassault games since the late 2000s. Also, Mech Warrior is a brilliant series - have you tried playing Mech Warrior Online?

11 hours ago, Bravosi said:

I'm also thinking on starting to play Age of Empires again! :)

It's a good game. And you should start with age of empires 1 and then 2 along with the age of mythology game. It'd be better in that order. 

On 5/5/2019 at 8:24 AM, killamch89 said:

Have you ever played any of the Armored Core games for the Sony consoles or Mechassault for the Xbox? I have been looking for a new Mech game since Armored Core 6 won't be coming out anytime soon and Microsoft stopped making the Mechassault games since the late 2000s. Also, Mech Warrior is a brilliant series - have you tried playing Mech Warrior Online?

I think I played a demo of an Armored Core game on Xbox 360 once, a long time ago. As a kid, I similarly played a MechAssault game on a demonstration Xbox in a store.

I don't really have a strong opinion on Armored Core, as the demo didn't give me enough to work with. MechAssault is another BattleTech product alongside MechWarrior, but it felt too much like an arcade game for my taste. I mean, yeah, MechWarrior 4 did have an arcade port which was pretty fun, but MechAssault lacks the emphasis on "mech simulator" that made me fall in love with MechWarrior in the first place. Don't get me wrong, on its own, it's a fun game in its own right, but playing MechAssault made me wish I was playing MechWarrior instead. 😅

I have played MechWarrior Online. Never on a computer that could run it well, however, and my current computer can't run it at all, sadly. I'm working on building a computer that can run it and several other games I want to play, but that could take years.

Anyone have played the house of dead? I am sure this was one of those old games which started the zombie kill gaming. And most of the survival approach started from there. It's a good game nonetheless.