Register Now
skyfire

Half Life 3 new version ever?

I think it's been so many years that Half life 2 franchise has been discontinued. I am not sure what happened to the designers and developers. Is there any chance of them making solo game or say cut out on the license and ever make a good game? It can be pretty good company and the service listing that has been discontinued. I hope that they do something about it and make atleast fan version of the game. 

What do you think, is it worth expecting Half Life to come back?

Edited by skyfire

Yes I feel the same too. Lot of jokes and the memes are made on them. And if they release the game. And did not meet the expectations. I think that is going to affect their revenue for sure. I think the best they can do is make remake and release for the Android. I think that would definitely make a new turn. 

So many things have happened in my life since I have been waiting for Half-life 3 to be released - I graduated high school/college, have owned several vehicles, My dog that I have had since I was kid has died and currently have two of her grand kids. There is a better chance of an alien invasion happening in the next 30 days than Half-life 3 being released.

On 2/2/2019 at 3:48 AM, killamch89 said:

So many things have happened in my life since I have been waiting for Half-life 3 to be released - I graduated high school/college, have owned several vehicles, My dog that I have had since I was kid has died and currently have two of her grand kids. There is a better chance of an alien invasion happening in the next 30 days than Half-life 3 being released.

Indeed it can be pretty devastating on many times. Some games are part of our life. And considering the new gaming trends are coming. I don't expect much that may happen with the half life 3. In near future I hope that there are some other developers who may make fan made version of it. 

16 hours ago, skyfire said:

Indeed it can be pretty devastating on many times. Some games are part of our life. And considering the new gaming trends are coming. I don't expect much that may happen with the half life 3. In near future I hope that there are some other developers who may make fan made version of it. 

Valve is making way too much money off of Steam to be concerned with reviving the half-life franchise.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:35 AM, Cleopatra92 said:

I don't think it's ever going to happen lol. No matter what they do at this point the hype has gotten too big to where no matter what game they put out it wouldn't live up to people's expectations. 

Yeah after years and years of waiting for many fans its not going to be worth it, besides Valve doesnt need to create new games at this point, it seems that Steam is more than enough for them.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:58 PM, kingpotato said:

Yeah after years and years of waiting for many fans its not going to be worth it, besides Valve doesnt need to create new games at this point, it seems that Steam is more than enough for them.

Steam is way too profitable for them so they won't resurrect the franchise.

Yes steam is another variable that I have forgot. I am guessing that they want to continue with what makes them money. And they may not want to burn the money in making games. Instead selling other companies games seems to be lot more profitable. And it seems like it earns more revenue for them. So yeah I won't hold that variable against them, survival counts after all. 

I don't think they can decide which direction to go with this "Half Life 3" game - a lot of project teams working on this game, but every time they work on this game at Valve, and it gets scrapped - it makes it harder to find any momentum after awhile with this game.

Yes the developers have more burden on them on what to launch and what to show. I guess we are going to see what may appear in the game at some point though. Either way I don't think it will ever be released. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ecf2abba7bb37b474f

And that is a good thing, and I'll explain why that's a good thing and why we have Half Life Alyx instead.

To be clear, I have no interest in Half life Alyx, VR nor the Half Life franchise overall any more, too much time has gone by, but I do have my own thoughts on this.

A big source of the negativity for Half Life Alyx comes from the very vocal group of fans who want HL3. Once again, Half Life 3 is never gonna happen, and for good reasons. The concept is dated due to the previous game's age making it all but impossible to do something that stands out the in what's become a very saturated market for FPS games. Most modern FPS games basically are HL2 and mimic the basic design, so it's hard to make a new HL game stand out. That added to the fact the diverse and high expectations from fans with regard to the story, and it would be impossible to make HL3 that's true to the game's core fundamentals, yet still distinguishable as an FPS of today. Half Life 3 is a games all but doomed to not live up to the hype.

The only way Valve could actually make a new HL game is by doing, well, exactly what they have done. Innovate, try something different, but most importantly, NOT make it Half Life 3 as such a break from tradition would just create a huge backlash. Yes, this was always gonna piss some people off, but at worst this was the lesser evil, and I admire them for having the courage and wisdom to follow this through. FPS games have massive potential and ease of compatibility for VR, and based of what we saw in the trailer, this game looks particularly well-made to work with the interface. This is a game being developed by people who know the platform and who know with they're doing. I think it looks brilliant, frankly, even though I almost certainly won't buy it. I suppose it is possible they've made this game to reintroduce a new generation fans to the franchise, but I hope not because to present them with a more generic FPS after Alyx would be even worse for Half Life 3.

To summarize, the vast majority of HL fans who won't buy Alyx won't buy it because it's VR, and that's fair, but I think that complaining about it because it's VR is no reason to get mad at Valve. It was either this or some other radical way to come out with a new HL game because HL3, despite what I'm sure would have been Valve's bet efforts and intentions, would have let people down in the end. I'm no Valve fan by any means, but on this occasion I understand what they're trying to do and it's the right thing for the franchise, I just wish they would stop teasing Half Life 3 unless they actually were making the game because that's just cruel.