Register Now
Alexander.

Fun or Addiction?

My family relatives tell me don't play too much or else I will get addicted to video gaming, but I don't agree with them.  I always play computer games for fun and don't play competitively with other users. I would say I have excellent  self control and set a maximum time limit of 2 hours a day to prevent an addiction from starting. Would you classify yourself as an Gaming Addict?

I started it as a fun. And then in my depression I used games as pure means of the getting a way for my rage to come out. I use my rage to control my addiction. And so for that I'd say that it can be  turned into addiction these days. I won't say complete game addict. But lack of having people around does make me think more about the games. That is what it often I feel in the life so far. 

I think spending 1 or 3 hours here and there playing games is no issue. But if one is spending like 5 hours daily into gaming and then spending more hours trying to justify how gaming is better. I think that is something many people don't really understand that it has some implication on our health and also the surrounding. So that is one reason addiction should be controlled. 

With the WHO you will have to eat a lot of crap nowadays because people have a very skewed perception of what gaming addiction is. While I do agree that there are people who shouldn't put games over social situations. It's still something that has to be dealt with in a case-by-case basis with full context. However, it seems like these people won't even bother to do the appropriate research and, as such, they will keep on bringing said skewed definitions of gaming.

It's dumb and annoying but.. Hey.. What can you do about it?

Anything can become an addiction nowadays but I have never ever meet someone who is a Video game addict. People will say that kids are becoming addicted to videogames but kids will become attached to anything they find entertaining , it doesn't mean its an addiction. I myself like to purchase videogames whenever I have some spare money, but at the most I only play about 3-4 hours at day and I will not spend money that I need for my daily life on videogames.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:06 AM, skyfire said:

I started it as a fun. And then in my depression I used games as pure means of the getting a way for my rage to come out. I use my rage to control my addiction. And so for that I'd say that it can be  turned into addiction these days. I won't say complete game addict. But lack of having people around does make me think more about the games. That is what it often I feel in the life so far. 

Yeah I feel you, I have also used video games as a way to deal with depressive times.

I think that this is something that mainly affects people with additive personalities. That's just the conclusion that I've come to with watching the people I know. 

For instance, I'm not really an addictive person. I can pick up and leave things pretty much whenever I choose to and it's never hard. However, my husband is the complete opposite. Whenever he decides to play a game, he goes big or goes home lol. Currently he's been playing Civilization IV (he was being bratty about playing the newer games at first so he's just now catching up) and he spends almost all of his free time doing that lately. He does everything he needs to do, so it's not like a problem.

6 hours ago, Cleopatra92 said:

I think that this is something that mainly affects people with additive personalities. That's just the conclusion that I've come to with watching the people I know. 

For instance, I'm not really an addictive person. I can pick up and leave things pretty much whenever I choose to and it's never hard. However, my husband is the complete opposite. Whenever he decides to play a game, he goes big or goes home lol. Currently he's been playing Civilization IV (he was being bratty about playing the newer games at first so he's just now catching up) and he spends almost all of his free time doing that lately. He does everything he needs to do, so it's not like a problem.

Same here, I am not an addictive person by nature. As a matter of fact, I get bored of everything eventually so I just can't be addicted to anything.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:03 AM, killamch89 said:

Same here, I am not an addictive person by nature. As a matter of fact, I get bored of everything eventually so I just can't be addicted to anything.

Ugh yes that's my problem exactly. It's why I go through so many "phases" were I'll be really into something for a few months, and then won't pick it back up again for a few months or years. 

4 minutes ago, Cleopatra92 said:

Ugh yes that's my problem exactly. It's why I go through so many "phases" were I'll be really into something for a few months, and then won't pick it back up again for a few months or years. 

Or ever again. 😂 It is totally relatable.

It obviously depends on an individual level of a person. Moreover, his psychological balance. Back when I was in school I thought it was an addiction, but it was just the way to escape the reality of people who are unable to socialize. I didn't want to socialize because my friends didn't enjoy doing sports, coming over, or hanging around playing table games anymore. They switched to clubs and etc to pretend to be "more mature". So it was simply fun for me back then, and still is now.

I play a game for fun, however, we never know when the fun part becomes an addiction. When I was introduced to candy crush, I started playing for fun, however, soon it became an addiction. Sometimes I was playing the game for straight 6 hours. Playing too much killed my phone battery and I had to uninstall the game, in order to avoid going back to the game.

I believe that playing games for fun is more healthy but the line between getting to have fun and addiction is that it's from getting too hooked up with having fun that you begin to get addicted to the game. I'm my opinion, they both interconnected. 

On 2/7/2019 at 3:04 AM, Anachiwo said:

I believe that playing games for fun is more healthy but the line between getting to have fun and addiction is that it's from getting too hooked up with having fun that you begin to get addicted to the game. I'm my opinion, they both interconnected. 

Knowing when to draw the line is key and yes, gaming can make you better at handling challenges like puzzles etc.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Knowing when to draw the line is key and yes, gaming can make you better at handling challenges like puzzles etc.

True my friend but the problem is that when you are already addicted, it becomes almost impossible to know when to draw the line as you will keep making excuses for why you still kept playing even when you are supposed to stop.