Register Now
Alexander.

Do you think online gaming should be paid?

I've never understood why companies such as Microsoft and Sony charge their customers to play online. Personally, I believe Microsoft and Sony are generating enough revenue from selling consoles and computer games. Users shouldn't be charged to play with friends. What's your view?

Edited by xXInfectedXx

It's called corporate greed and it has crept its way into the gaming industry. PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live used to be free back in the days but the companies have gotten more greedy and we as the consumers have not held them accountable for their actions so this is why we are in this situation.

I'm not against paying up front for online games as long as the game isn't gouging me for money afterwards...

What I'm really against is online only games costing the same as a game with single and multi player modes...

30 minutes ago, Alyxx said:

What I'm really against is online only games costing the same as a game with single and multi player modes...

I definitely agree with this. Because I feel like I'm always just renting an online game. You're at the mercy of the servers. If those go down, you're done lol. 

The original question about Xbox Live/PS Plus... That doesn't really bother me much. If it's right or wrong, I can't say. But it just doesn't bug me much. What Sony and Microsoft do that does bug me though is shut down the servers for their old consoles. I wish those would work still if you wanted to pay or something lol. 

With my Xbox 360 I never liked the idea of paying for the online service considering that my friends with PS3 didnt paid a single dollar. I've been reluctant of getting PS plus for my ps4 since its not worth it, yeah they give you free games each month, but if you dont keep paying your subscription those games are taken away unless you activate the service again, at least xbox allows you to keep the free games.

I hate it but I pay it because the majority of the time, I play online. The thing is the one game that I play the most is Fortnite. That is available to be played online for free on PlayStation because of the fact that it is a free-to-play game and you don't need to pay for online for that. The problem for me is The Crew 2 which is online only so I have to have PS Plus to play that game. Honestly, if PS Plus wasn't for online gaming, the majority of people wouldn't pay for it.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:39 PM, Cleopatra92 said:

definitely agree with this. Because I feel like I'm always just renting an online game. You're at the mercy of the servers. If those go down, you're done lol. 

Yeah, exactly. It isn’t as bad if they have a LAN and single player mode that keep functioning, but it still sucks.

The other thing that scares me on a related note is purchasing games online. Technically, you don’t “own” anything—you have a kind of “indefinite rental.” If the company goes under, the contract evaporates, and you can lose everything. This applies with movies/TV as well.

I feel like it’s becoming harder and harder to actually own any sort of watchable or playable content.

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Yeah, exactly. It isn’t as bad if they have a LAN and single player mode that keep functioning, but it still sucks.

The other thing that scares me on a related note is purchasing games online. Technically, you don’t “own” anything—you have a kind of “indefinite rental.” If the company goes under, the contract evaporates, and you can lose everything. This applies with movies/TV as well.

I feel like it’s becoming harder and harder to actually own any sort of watchable or playable content.

Very fair point and things do seem to be heading in the direction. Steam has not failed me yet but there is no telling what may happen in the future.

I think they want to cover the hosting costs. Like streaming the content costs money. And all of those game companies have the streaming limit on bandwidth. If the bandwidth becomes cheap like water, they will not charge much. And then they want to make profit so they tend to charge and cover the fat salaries of managers. 

It depends on the game. If it's a console game that is strictly an online game, then no. It shouldn't be paid. Now if it's something like WoW, that's a bit of a gray area. But take FF14. That's a game that shouldn't cost to play. I know you can play it on a console or PC but that's irrelevant.

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Very fair point and things do seem to be heading in the direction. Steam has not failed me yet but there is no telling what may happen in the future.

I was really alarmed when Amazon suddenly stopped offering the ability to purchase TV shows that I was in the process of buying the other month. Thankfully, the seasons I bought before the change are still available to me in my account, but I’ve had to look for other ways to purchase the remaining seasons. One just doesn’t know what is going to happen with digital purchases.

Just now, StaceyPowers said:

I was really alarmed when Amazon suddenly stopped offering the ability to purchase TV shows that I was in the process of buying the other month. Thankfully, the seasons I bought before the change are still available to me in my account, but I’ve had to look for other ways to purchase the remaining seasons. One just doesn’t know what is going to happen with digital purchases.

You constantly have to keep yourself updated on policy changes with services like Amazon because the changes they make are very sudden with little to no warning.

I think the servers do cost some amount of money. And the server bandwidth and the limit that it has can be managed with the gaming servers being paid. Then again not all games survive forever so that they have to adjust the cost with subscription of some sort.