Register Now
StaceyPowers

Was there an age when gaming "clicked" with you?

I wouldn’t say I’m a “bad” gamer, but I’m not really a “good” one either. I suppose I’m pretty mediocre. But as a kid, I was downright terrible, to the point where I didn’t even grasp the appeal of playing. I just watched other people with great interest instead.

There were a few games I liked anyway when I was younger, but I still remember the day I was playing Quake III Arena in CTF mode online, and suddenly something “clicked” in my brain, and abruptly, I could fight. I started scoring frags like crazy, and after that, a whole universe of gaming was suddenly accessible and awesome.

Anyone else ever have that sort of experience?

I'm not very good at games that require a lot of precision movement anymore. Once I injured my wrists and hands, I just couldn't do it anymore. Not that I was ever amazing, but I was much better than I am now in the past. So I like to watch people play games I don't think I'd be good at myself these days (mainly shooters and platformers). 

I'm still good/decent at things that don't require that. Like strategy games, or RPGs with non-action combat. I always liked those genres before, but I think my physical limitations made me lean into them even more. 

It began to happen and develop back when I was in high school. My friends began to change and adopt to "new realities". Like dating, going to clubs, drinking and etc. Personally I did date, but on an individual level, rather than for a purpose of dating. If you know what I mean.

When I was a kid, the only way to play games was by visiting game shops. However, I was not allowed to play games, my father was against playing games. When father bought a PC, he allowed me to play a couple of games, however, these games were not like the ones we see these days. I started playing games when I had my first smartphone. That was when I was in the college.

Don't remember any age it didn't. Been a gamer all my life practically. Whether it was my dad's PC or handheld LCD games, gaming was part of my life early on and it pretty much left a permanent impact on me and has been a part of my life since.