Register Now
StaceyPowers

Random, fun activities in open world games

I'm playing RDR for the first time, and one thing I've enjoyed so far about it is some of the silly, random stuff I'm able to do, like play horseshoes or watch a movie. I'd love to see more stuff like this in open world games. I know GTA is good for this too. Anyone else have any other suggested games that offer this sort of thing?

On 2/7/2019 at 5:11 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I'm playing RDR for the first time, and one thing I've enjoyed so far about it is some of the silly, random stuff I'm able to do, like play horseshoes or watch a movie. I'd love to see more stuff like this in open world games. I know GTA is good for this too. Anyone else have any other suggested games that offer this sort of thing?

Monster Hunter World - you may just see three Titan Monster duking it out and you get to finish off the winner and can harvest materials from all 3 😎. No seriously, it is freaking hilarious to be fighting a boss monster and suddenly two more come out of nowhere to challenge it. I make sure to get to a safe vantage point and open a betting booth and take some bets. I even provide free commentary 🤣. I would sell merchandise but you know it takes a while to make them so yeah...not really a profitable venture.

If you played No man's Sky, you'd find a lot of things to do in open world in that game. For example, you may find that there are random trees that you can destroy. Some creatures on some dwarf planet that you can kill for no reason. So it can be fun but also extremely boring as well. I'd say that if you are into open world stuff, that may be something you may also enjoy if you like wasting time in space. 

I like with the GTA games that you could play golf, and do other things. I played a fair amount of the B-ball game in San Andreas. And I did golf and tennis in V a lot with friends. Darts as well and a few other things. That's where GTA online shines, the activities you can do with friends adds a lot of fun. 

On 1/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, Kane99 said:

I like with the GTA games that you could play golf, and do other things. I played a fair amount of the B-ball game in San Andreas. And I did golf and tennis in V a lot with friends. Darts as well and a few other things. That's where GTA online shines, the activities you can do with friends adds a lot of fun. 

Not to mention the custom game modes you can play with friends. Sometimes I just love when we all jump into a vehicle like the Avenger and fly around terrorizing tryhards. There's nothing as enjoyable as seeing a tryhard rage quit.

The dice game, Farkle, in Kingdom Come: Deliverance is one of my favourites. A simple maths game that's helped by the fact you can cheat with loaded die, which some NPCs will have (and can be stolen). Similarly, poker and blackjack in Red Dead Redemption 2, or really any game that offers it.

On 1/21/2021 at 6:45 AM, killamch89 said:

Honestly this still cracks me even 10 years later...

Not sure if you know this but that's a reference to a mage (and the scroll to cast such a spell) you can find early on in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Apt given that looks like the expansion which takes place there in Skyrim. ^^

15 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Not sure if you know this but that's a reference to a mage (and the scroll to cast such a spell) you can find early on in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Apt given that looks like the expansion which takes place there in Skyrim. ^^

I was aware it was a reference to Morrowind and that's why I always remembered it. The first time kind of took me back though, I'm not going to lie. While it was happening I was like am I supposed to do something here and then I see him just launch himself like a surface to air missile. 

30 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I think that having or learning to burn the Undead Bone Shards in Dark Souls 3 which eventually will increase the power of your Estus Flask is definitely fun move for me. 

The fun part for me is the boss battles especially when they have minions - it makes for an extremely challenging fight.

16 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

The fun part for me is the boss battles especially when they have minions - it makes for an extremely challenging fight.

Are all fights in all Dark Souls series a tough ones to crack?