Register Now
StaceyPowers

Criticisms of open world games

I run into a lot of folks who downright loathe open world games. I’m obviously not one of them, but I do understand some of their complaints. In particular, I agree that it’s easier to tell a story with a strong narrative and get a player emotionally invested in a linear game with a set storyline and character.

But I don’t think open world games are necessarily impossible to do that with. It seems like even if you let the player create a character, it’s just a matter of having strong narratives tied to followers to create that emotional connection and context in the game.

Thoughts?

I'm not against them at all if they serve the game well. In a Bethesda Game Studios game, the open world is one of the main selling points of the game. In a more focused RPG like the Dragon Age series was (and hopefully will be next time), I think it only detracts from the game. It all depends on if the open world is adding busy work, or if it's a genuine world I suppose. 

My criticism of some Open-World games (doesn't apply Elder Scrolls, GTA or RDR series) is that they feel like a huge freaking post-apocalyptic world in terms of very few characters/npcs all over the map including major cities where it is supposed to be populated and the game world feels dead as a result instead of buzzing with activity.