Register Now
Alexander.

Laptop users - Battery Life

1 hour ago, Syntax said:

For some of the games I play, I get right around 4-6 hours of battery life if I keep the performance settings around High, and brightness only a few ticks above being black (below 50% for sure).

I can't play much with PC when power supply isn't stable. Because, it's battery life wouldn't exceed past 4-5 hours daily. When used for other activities, it turns out being lesser for my gaming time. 

On 5/29/2022 at 10:23 PM, Jasmin said:

When the laptop starts getting old, it cannot give you a better battery backup. You can replace the battery. However, the replacement batteries are not as good as he original batteries.

It depends on where you source your replacement batteries and if they're new or used. Most new replacement batteries that are officially from the manufacturer of the laptop have the same capacity as the original.

7 hours ago, Jasmin said:

If you want to replace batteries just because your existing batteries are not giving good power backup, you should always buy new batteries, used batteries can be as bad as your old batteries.

That is common knowledge...also, you can't guarantee if those used batteries aren't worse than the one you had in your laptop.

I'm on my 2nd battery with this laptop, and I don't like that it has an onboard video chip. It's a great laptop for everything else, but it's crap for gaming. It's in the Dell XPS family. I think I've got some time left in this battery before I have to replace it again.

On 6/23/2022 at 8:58 PM, harleyqbx said:

I'm on my 2nd battery with this laptop, and I don't like that it has an onboard video chip. It's a great laptop for everything else, but it's crap for gaming. It's in the Dell XPS family. I think I've got some time left in this battery before I have to replace it again.

XPS laptops are always good for productivity but they typically using things like budget dedicated gaming videocards so gaming on it isn't going to be that great.

Right now I'm using a Shadow cloud computing instance for gaming that's beyond what my laptop is capable of. But I might end up getting an external GPU enclosure and graphics card at some point. Still working out which one is more worth it, because the external graphics card would give me the extra power for gaming, but only when I'm home. The cloud instance allows me to bring that extra power elsewhere, but only if I have a good connection and it's an added expense every month.  I don't want to switch to a different laptop that's better for gaming, because this laptop has the perfect weight and portability for me, and I've discovered the ability to toss my laptop into a bag and travel for hours without killing my shoulder is more important to me. Maybe I'll settle on the perfect set up some day.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:19 PM, harleyqbx said:

Right now I'm using a Shadow cloud computing instance for gaming that's beyond what my laptop is capable of. But I might end up getting an external GPU enclosure and graphics card at some point. Still working out which one is more worth it, because the external graphics card would give me the extra power for gaming, but only when I'm home. The cloud instance allows me to bring that extra power elsewhere, but only if I have a good connection and it's an added expense every month.  I don't want to switch to a different laptop that's better for gaming, because this laptop has the perfect weight and portability for me, and I've discovered the ability to toss my laptop into a bag and travel for hours without killing my shoulder is more important to me. Maybe I'll settle on the perfect set up some day.

Weight for me is an important factor I want a pc I can conveniently move around with.

I have been looking for a good power server maybe something I could charge and carry Along with me to keep my PC on.

My laptop is my daily driver, the battery is internal, unfortunately, but I do try to replace my whole laptop every 3 years or so with a protection plan.  The battery in this laptop is still good though. I've only had it for just over a year and a bit, but i always keep it plugged into power anyway so it doesn't matter much.