Register Now
StaceyPowers

Mouse and keyboard or gamepad?

For a long, long time I was a PC gamer, and couldn't fathom how anyone could use a gamepad effectively. This was because the only gamepad I'd ever used was the original NES one, and I would be willing to wager I'd still be atrocious with it. 

I've been gaming almost exclusively on my PS3 for a couple years now though, and I've gotten used to the Dualshock. And what's funny is that every time I try and game on my PC with my mouse again, now I am totally uncoordinated and play abominably. 

What works better for you? A gamepad or a mouse and keyboard?

57 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

For a long, long time I was a PC gamer, and couldn't fathom how anyone could use a gamepad effectively. This was because the only gamepad I'd ever used was the original NES one, and I would be willing to wager I'd still be atrocious with it. 

I've been gaming almost exclusively on my PS3 for a couple years now though, and I've gotten used to the Dualshock. And what's funny is that every time I try and game on my PC with my mouse again, now I am totally uncoordinated and play abominably. 

What works better for you? A gamepad or a mouse and keyboard?

It depends on the game actually - for games like GTA V or sports games like PES, I use a controller. For FPS or RPGs like Fortnite, Skyrim and BF, I use the keyboard and mouse as it maximizes my performance in these games.

40 minutes ago, Patrik said:

Mouse & Keyboard till death! gamepad is just another "mobile gaming" stylish thing to game with and it's really annoying

Controllers have existed in some in form or another in arcades and early consoles at a time when keyboards where mostly seen on typewriters and the mouse wasn't even invented.  The mouse and keyboard are peripherals that were designed with work, not gaming in mind.  It's something that people and game design have adapted to over the years whereas the gamepad is purpose designed.  So I don't see your logic with regard to using a gamepad as a recent "mobile gaming" trend.

I understand even less why people using gamepads would even "annoy" you.  It seems obvious to me that if someone buys a game and have a choice of peripherals they can use whatever they want to get the best enjoyment out of it.  If the game requires the use of a peripheral or device that they don't like using then they simply don't buy that particular game.  What's the problem?

I know that I (FPS and RTS games aside) generally prefer a controller, even on PC but if someone else prefers a keyboard and mouse for the Assassin's Creed I don't care.  Use whatever you want, this argument is ridiculous.

I hate gamepads,  they serve as nothing but a gatekeeper between me and most console games. I've struggled through a few games with them but it really was a struggle. And not for lack of trying, I'm no better at it than I was the first time. It's just not for me.  I had hoped when they added kb+mouse support in killzone on the PS2 that it will be the new norm, but no such luck.

i won't even use them for driving games, because driving games deserve a proper wheel plus pedals, flying games deserve a flight stick.

I broke many dualshock controllers out of frustration.