Register Now
Alexander.

What's your favorite fighting class: warrior or mage

1 minute ago, DylanC said:

Probably more of a magic-wielding warrior. I do like being able to use a sword effectively when I’m in a bind.

That sounds like me. I usually dual wield in Skyrim, but I use conjuration a lot. But I see the atronachs as auxiliary to my swordfighting, not the other way around.

Edited by StaceyPowers

9 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

That sounds like me. I usually dual wield in Skyrim, but I use conjuration a lot. But I see the atronachs as auxiliary to my swordfighting, not the other way around.

Oh, snap! I’m all about conjuration and swordfighting in Skyrim. I think one of the reasons I love the Elder Scrolls games so much is the freedom - you really can build your character around your own specific play-style of choice.

17 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I also tend to be a melee fighter, and likewise pair well with a ranged fighter (another melee fighter just tends to get in the way).

I am so bad with the bow and arrow, lol. Have you found the gal up in the mountains who gives you practice arrows?

I love the Daedric armor. It’s so gorgeous! I levelled up smithing so I can make it for all my followers =D I wear the Forsworn armor you can win as a quest reward.

Anyway, what’s funny is that in Fallout, I usually am a sniper, and stay as far away from melee combat as I can. The VATS system makes it so easy. And if you pair up with another sniper (like Boone in NV), you can pick off a lot of enemies before they ever get near you.

No, I haven't found anybody who gives you practice arrows, but I've picked up an endless supply from enemies I've killed. I've just started the Dawnguard DLC, so I'm trying my hand with a crossbow now. I think I like it. I just need practice. I worked hard on leveling up smithing too, made A LOT of gold rings! Haha. Now I just need the last bit to be able to make dragon armor, then I've maxed out the tree for heavy armor. 

I'm definitely trying Fallout next (New Vegas probably. Going by your recommendations.). It's funny that you have totally different play styles in two very similar games.  We'll see how I end up playing it 🙂 

@kingpotato rofl, perfect.

@LadyDay  https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Angi's_Camp 

One of the more remote locations on the map! Worth taking a trip up there just because it’s so high up in the mountains, plus it’s one of the only actual tutorial-type things in the game, weirdly enough (she actually walks you through firing at targets). Obviously you don’t need a tutorial, but it’s curious that it exists, all the same. So you may find it interesting.

I still haven’t played Dawnguard. You’ll have to tell me how it is!

Yes, get New Vegas, it is awesome! A quick word of warning—Fallout seems to have more of a steeper curve as a newbie than Skyrim, at least in my opinion. Here are a few quick tips:

1-Do not try to take shortcuts to Vegas. If you head north, you’ll run into like a million deathclaws right outside the newbie town. The route I tried to use to shortcut to Novac/Vegas had a bunch of scorpions in it which are very hard as a newbie. Just use the route it guides you through.

2-The game is much easier with a follower. There are only a few followers available in the game. I recommend Boone in Novac if you don’t know where to start.

3-This may not be an issue on PC, but skip the gory mess perk. It literally breaks the game on PS3, at least for me.

4-Like me, you will almost certainly detest Caesar’s Legion on sight, and want to kill them all. The moment you make an attack on them, they start sending assassins to kill you like … all the time. It’s the one thing I find super annoying in the game. So if you want to delay that, delay attacking them for a while. The assassins are easier to dispatch with a follower.

Let me know when you start the game!

@Alyxx @killamch89 I can relate to that. I don’t have a hard time taking things apart and putting them back together, but I’m dreadfully afraid of screwing something up with static cling. There was also the time I used a screwdriver I had no idea was magnetized …

@DylanC Totally! It’s so customizable. Same for Fallout, really. I also like Fallout’s skill distribution a bit better, especially since some games (New Vegas) really let you use Speech and other abilities in surprisingly effective ways.

21 hours ago, kingpotato said:

There is a game style I bet none of you guys have chosen. Butt naked Wabbajack!!!  There is nothing scarier than a naked dragonborn with a random magic stick terrorizing Whiterun.

The horror! 😂

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

@Alyxx @killamch89 I can relate to that. I don’t have a hard time taking things apart and putting them back together, but I’m dreadfully afraid of screwing something up with static cling. There was also the time I used a screwdriver I had no idea was magnetized …

@DylanC Totally! It’s so customizable. Same for Fallout, really. I also like Fallout’s skill distribution a bit better, especially since some games (New Vegas) really let you use Speech and other abilities in surprisingly effective ways.

In MMORPGs, I tend to play as a tank as I can't be bothered to be hiding behind someone else. I like jumping into battle headfirst.

12 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

@kingpotato rofl, perfect.

@LadyDay  https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Angi's_Camp 

One of the more remote locations on the map! Worth taking a trip up there just because it’s so high up in the mountains, plus it’s one of the only actual tutorial-type things in the game, weirdly enough (she actually walks you through firing at targets). Obviously you don’t need a tutorial, but it’s curious that it exists, all the same. So you may find it interesting.

I still haven’t played Dawnguard. You’ll have to tell me how it is!

Yes, get New Vegas, it is awesome! A quick word of warning—Fallout seems to have more of a steeper curve as a newbie than Skyrim, at least in my opinion. Here are a few quick tips:

1-Do not try to take shortcuts to Vegas. If you head north, you’ll run into like a million deathclaws right outside the newbie town. The route I tried to use to shortcut to Novac/Vegas had a bunch of scorpions in it which are very hard as a newbie. Just use the route it guides you through.

2-The game is much easier with a follower. There are only a few followers available in the game. I recommend Boone in Novac if you don’t know where to start.

3-This may not be an issue on PC, but skip the gory mess perk. It literally breaks the game on PS3, at least for me.

4-Like me, you will almost certainly detest Caesar’s Legion on sight, and want to kill them all. The moment you make an attack on them, they start sending assassins to kill you like … all the time. It’s the one thing I find super annoying in the game. So if you want to delay that, delay attacking them for a while. The assassins are easier to dispatch with a follower.

Let me know when you start the game!

Thank you for the advice. I've written it down. 

I'll let you know once I've finished the Dawnguard story arch (so far I like it) and when I start Fallout (and I'll tell you how I'm doing). 

11 hours ago, LadyDay said:

Thank you for the advice. I've written it down. 

I'll let you know once I've finished the Dawnguard story arch (so far I like it) and when I start Fallout (and I'll tell you how I'm doing). 

Excellent!

Oh one more bit of advice on New Vegas. That game features a lot of skill checks, i.e. speech checks, science checks, repair checks, and other skills, so you'll want to decide early how you want to specialize.

Like I usually ignore Speech in Skyrim, because so rarely does it influence actual outcomes of situations. But in NV, passing a speech check can result in a completely different ending for a quest or character. The first time I played, I didn't put points into Speech for ages, because I was just playing it like I would Skyrim. This time around, I'm pouring points into it early so I can get better endings/solutions to some quests :)

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Excellent!

Oh one more bit of advice on New Vegas. That game features a lot of skill checks, i.e. speech checks, science checks, repair checks, and other skills, so you'll want to decide early how you want to specialize.

Like I usually ignore Speech in Skyrim, because so rarely does it influence actual outcomes of situations. But in NV, passing a speech check can result in a completely different ending for a quest or character. The first time I played, I didn't put points into Speech for ages, because I was just playing it like I would Skyrim. This time around, I'm pouring points into it early so I can get better endings/solutions to some quests 🙂

Speech is the most ignored skill tree in Skyrim for me as well because it is so freaking useless. It doesn't buff shouts or anything and the discounts you get from merchants is so negligible.

9 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Excellent!

Like I usually ignore Speech in Skyrim, because so rarely does it influence actual outcomes of situations. But in NV, passing a speech check can result in a completely different ending for a quest or character. The first time I played, I didn't put points into Speech for ages, because I was just playing it like I would Skyrim. This time around, I'm pouring points into it early so I can get better endings/solutions to some quests 🙂

You're my designated Fallout mentor 😄