Register Now
UleTheVee

Let's start Discussing About Ethics in Gaming Journalism

Generally speaking, there are two extreme views in gaming journalism, one that is overtly supportive of the gaming industry and two extremely negative about gaming. Maybe I am wrong and the balanced view on the gaming industry also exist, however, I do not read a lot on gaming related news and articles.

I think ethical journalism is dying ever since we allowed Buzzfeed like clickbait headlines and content to rule our everyday life. I think in order to get back at the proper journalism. Many new writers and reporters need to be compensated properly. Because you never know how the articles may affect the society. In case of gaming you may always find paid journalism that affects the sales. 

15 hours ago, egghead said:

Generally speaking, there are two extreme views in gaming journalism, one that is overtly supportive of the gaming industry and two extremely negative about gaming. Maybe I am wrong and the balanced view on the gaming industry also exist, however, I do not read a lot on gaming related news and articles.

I usually love being a journalist who represents the gamers and what they want rather than pleasing the corporations. That means I am usually more outspoken in my own medium than anyone else who could do my job.

8 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think ethical journalism is dying ever since we allowed Buzzfeed like clickbait headlines and content to rule our everyday life. I think in order to get back at the proper journalism. Many new writers and reporters need to be compensated properly. Because you never know how the articles may affect the society. In case of gaming you may always find paid journalism that affects the sales. 

The whole Exposure Vs. Paid  debacle continues going on and how "Clickbait is feeding websites" is also a huge problem that happens even with YouTubers. The major issue is that humanity LOVES gossip. We literally are in love with seeing scandalous headlines about how they did this or that.

3 hours ago, Cleopatra92 said:

I feel like this problem is way beyond gaming. I'm not sure about other countries, but I know in America the news is basically a joke now. The gaming news seems to be no different lol 

That's funny, considering the forum you're in belongs to a game news website.

But I digress, I don't think that news are a joke and they are still taken extremely seriously in my country. However, the reason for this is because Mexicans tend to go straight to the point (just look at publications like LevelUp, which don't even go for extremely hot hot takes).

On 2/13/2019 at 1:06 AM, UleTheVee said:

I usually love being a journalist who represents the gamers and what they want rather than pleasing the corporations. That means I am usually more outspoken in my own medium than anyone else who could do my job. 

The whole Exposure Vs. Paid  debacle continues going on and how "Clickbait is feeding websites" is also a huge problem that happens even with YouTubers. The major issue is that humanity LOVES gossip. We literally are in love with seeing scandalous headlines about how they did this or that.

That's funny, considering the forum you're in belongs to a game news website.

But I digress, I don't think that news are a joke and they are still taken extremely seriously in my country. However, the reason for this is because Mexicans tend to go straight to the point (just look at publications like LevelUp, which don't even go for extremely hot hot takes).

As a gaming journalist, you should put a balanced view, your writing should not be concerned with making the producers happy. However, what we see in the media is the journalist are usually the paid writers of the corporations. They are paid for writing extremely good reviews.

18 hours ago, egghead said:

As a gaming journalist, you should put a balanced view, your writing should not be concerned with making the producers happy. However, what we see in the media is the journalist are usually the paid writers of the corporations. They are paid for writing extremely good reviews.

I definitely disagree with your assessment. YouTubers can also be sponsored by game producers and peripheral manufacturers to provide positive insight that can be seen clear as day. In fact, some controversy has sparked about the reliability of YouTube tech reviews.

Now, I don't care about whether or not someone is sponsored. We still gotta pay the bills and eat. But I try my hardest to think about the consumer rather than on a corporation's best interest.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:17 PM, UleTheVee said:

I definitely disagree with your assessment. YouTubers can also be sponsored by game producers and peripheral manufacturers to provide positive insight that can be seen clear as day. In fact, some controversy has sparked about the reliability of YouTube tech reviews.

Now, I don't care about whether or not someone is sponsored. We still gotta pay the bills and eat. But I try my hardest to think about the consumer rather than on a corporation's best interest.

Yes prior to Mastercard and Patreon saga, I remember there used to be many gamers who used to support company content blindly if they get paid for it. So I agree that the reliable news and opinion can be pretty hard to find on youtube or for any website out there on that matter. Also it is kind of hard to find out that part as well. I guess we find that out based on how they manipulate information. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:10 AM, Cleopatra92 said:

I feel like this problem is way beyond gaming. I'm not sure about other countries, but I know in America the news is basically a joke now. The gaming news seems to be no different lol 

I totally agree with Cleo and it's been that way for many decades as far as I can tell.

4 hours ago, mont86 said:

I totally agree with Cleo and it's been that way for many decades as far as I can tell.

13 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yes prior to Mastercard and Patreon saga, I remember there used to be many gamers who used to support company content blindly if they get paid for it. So I agree that the reliable news and opinion can be pretty hard to find on youtube or for any website out there on that matter. Also it is kind of hard to find out that part as well. I guess we find that out based on how they manipulate information. 

That's why you need to find the particular journalists who you actually think are worth following and keep them around to bring them your information. Think of gaming journalists as content creators; there may be some lackluster ones but there are also exceptional people who work hard to continue to make the indutry better. Great example of this being Jason Schrier who constantly writes these insider reports to reveal the awful truths about the industry,.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:04 PM, UleTheVee said:

That's why you need to find the particular journalists who you actually think are worth following and keep them around to bring them your information. Think of gaming journalists as content creators; there may be some lackluster ones but there are also exceptional people who work hard to continue to make the indutry better. Great example of this being Jason Schrier who constantly writes these insider reports to reveal the awful truths about the industry,.

To be honest I have yet to find the journalist or the site that has truth for things. All of them have clickbait headlines and nothing close to truth. And they often run through the left wing agenda. And it kind of makes me want to just ignore those sites. It definitely does not add much in the overall scheme of things for me. I guess the day journalist drop the clickbait it would be better. 

6 hours ago, skyfire said:

To be honest I have yet to find the journalist or the site that has truth for things. All of them have clickbait headlines and nothing close to truth. And they often run through the left wing agenda. And it kind of makes me want to just ignore those sites. It definitely does not add much in the overall scheme of things for me. I guess the day journalist drop the clickbait it would be better. 

I don't want to sound like I am full of myself. But I have written plenty of articles and reviews that focus squarely on the facts I have available for me. Not only that, but I also am opposed to the clickbaity nature of a lot of other journalists who also tend to make scandalous opinions for the sake of revenue. What? Did you seriously think these people actually believe all the SJW shit they're spouting? Don't make me laugh.

While I certainly won't say "FOLLOW ME AND SUBMIT YOUR WILL TO ME" I will definitely say that there are a lot of honest journalists out there who focus more on the ethical aspects of the industry as a whole. People like Jason Scherier or Jim Sterling being prime examples of that. Now, let's not even pretend like this isn't a trend among gaming channels in YouTube. Clickbaity titles and thumbnails, nearly no sense of organization, overly long videos (10+ minutes for the sake of ad revenue). This attitude is spread across the entire community, not just journalists.

Edited by UleTheVee
Added a NeoGAF post which scrutinized the PC World review controversy