Register Now
Alexander.

Are video games a waste of time?

Video games are made to entertain, we all know that "educational" video games are terrible. Yes time can be wasted by playing videogames , if you are in school and you are playing videogames instead of doing your homework thats wasting time, If you are an adult and you prefer playing videogames instead of taking care of your responsibilities that is also wasting time. To be honest time can be wasted in many ways not just by playing videogames. 

Anything can be a waste of time if you are doing it long hours. For instance, if you enjoy reading books and you read books for 4-5 hours, this can also be a time waster as there are other important things to do. Therefore, I believe gaming is a waste of time only when you are playing for many hours. One-two hours playing is recreational.

I think it all falls into perspective. If you are playing video games for some time pass and want to kill some time. Then in such case they can be a good option for you. But if you are playing video game seriously ignoring real life, studies, jobs and the family. Then that can be nothing but waste of the time and other things. I would say on that note it can be pretty bad to have gaming addiction. 

Whenever I hear this argument that video games are a time waste, I just direct a person to eSports scene. Those guys out there are playing and earning more than lawyers!
The same rule applies to the streamers and youtube video guys. 
And even if you're not one of the above, it all depends on what you are taking from the gaming experience.
If it's just sheer frustration or a mindless grind, then I do agree, one participating in such activities could go elsewhere and use his time more efficiently, however, if you partake in adventures, meet people from all over the world, cooperate and immerse in the most thrilling of narrative twists, a person that dares to say that's a time waste is nothing but a fool in my eyes. 
I've spent thousands of hours in WoW, and I don't regret a single minute invested in it, never did, never will. I love the game so much that I've written a blog about its current state and my opinion about the game's potential in the future. If there're any WoW fans here, Check it! 

No Game is a Time-waste if you don't personally think so, it's your time, it's your life, it's your adventure!

!

I think it can be a bit of both. Some play them in order to escape reality, I mean where else will you be able to ride fire breathing dragons? Narnia?However, some people become so absorbed into playing them that life tends to slip by without them even noticing

18 hours ago, iddy1994 said:

I think it can be a bit of both. Some play them in order to escape reality, I mean where else will you be able to ride fire breathing dragons? Narnia?However, some people become so absorbed into playing them that life tends to slip by without them even noticing

I kind of agree that people want to escape reality thats why they create fantasy. They create things that does not exist. Lot of those things turn out to be affecting their mental and physical health. On that note I'd say that there has to be some sort of balance for the gaming. Like this way you don't get addicted with the gaming. 

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

I kind of agree that people want to escape reality thats why they create fantasy. They create things that does not exist. Lot of those things turn out to be affecting their mental and physical health. On that note I'd say that there has to be some sort of balance for the gaming. Like this way you don't get addicted with the gaming. 

I think it depends, there have been times where I was excited about a game and I was addicted to it until I completed it

I have to agree that there are many people who tend to play the game like an addict till it ends. And then they move to the another game. But here the addiction history remains. And that can be bad though. I mean there has to be some sort of pause in between the gaming experience. That is the way things should be from what I have noticed so far. Not all gamers know when to quit.