Register Now
skyfire

Violent Games and Teen Aggression Aren’t Linked?

A pretty much flawed research says Violence is not related to the gaming. As per the Oxfords latest research Here. 

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2019-02-13-violent-video-games-found-not-be-associated-adolescent-aggression#

But the reality is that people who tend to play violent games are bullies in school, involved in school shooting, mugging and other crimes. Instead of looking at this data, the oxford took random set of the data and then tried to came up with conclusion that games are not responsible. 

What do you think?

I do not go by the research. generally, research is a view presented from a small segment of society. The research interview 1000-2000 people and make a conclusion. How can the view of 1000-2000 people actually represent the view of the global population that comes from various cultures and countries? Gaming may not be the only reason for teen aggression, however, I believe it is one of the major reasons for violent behavior.  

Yes that is my point too. Gaming leads to the aggressive and the negative behavior among the teens. And that is not all some of the teens who turn out against their surrounding usually play a lot of games. I understand we are all gamers here. But we have to also know our boundaries and know that gaming isn't everything. And researchers funded by gaming companies would surely side with gaming companies. 

Yes that seems to be the case, people tend to take the research too much literal. And then they tend to discard. I remember the popeye cartoon was used to sell the spinach. And it turned out good. And the same type of the manipulation can be working in other cases as well. It seems like there are times when the games can be bad but nobody seems to be addressing that. 

On 2/15/2019 at 3:51 AM, skyfire said:

A pretty much flawed research says Violence is not related to the gaming. As per the Oxfords latest research Here. 

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2019-02-13-violent-video-games-found-not-be-associated-adolescent-aggression#

But the reality is that people who tend to play violent games are bullies in school, involved in school shooting, mugging and other crimes. Instead of looking at this data, the oxford took random set of the data and then tried to came up with conclusion that games are not responsible. 

What do you think?

UGH THIS AGAIN!  I've seen literally dozens of studies that have to same conclusion as this "flawed" research, are say they are ALL guilty of misrepresenting the evidence?  Your not even demonstrating or providing anything that supports your claim that Oxford University's (one of the most highly respected higher education facilities in Europe, maybe even the world) methods or research is flawed.  Your just saying it is while, once again, providing no evidence.

This isn't the first time either, the claims you make about the alleged link between video games and violence have been debunked time and time again.  Some research has linked games to higher levels of aggression in adolescents, but no more than sports or any other activity of a competitive nature.  You've just used the word aggression and twisted it into the same bullshit arguments about violence. You know perfectly well there are not the same thing and were not stupid enough to fall for it.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:51 PM, skyfire said:

What do you think?

Allow me to ask this: If video games cause violence, then wouldn't that mean that movies, tv shows, and books would also cause violence? Which would lead to the conclusion that Shakespeare needs to be censored to protect the kids. Because we shouldn't blame Timmy gunning down Susie, on GTA, but rather on the bullying and abusive father.

29 minutes ago, Techno said:

Allow me to ask this: If video games cause violence, then wouldn't that mean that movies, tv shows, and books would also cause violence? Which would lead to the conclusion that Shakespeare needs to be censored to protect the kids. Because we shouldn't blame Timmy gunning down Susie, on GTA, but rather on the bullying and abusive father.

Ex-fucking-actly!  The parents that push this nonsense just cannot accept, get their heads around or simply can't be bothered to look into the fact the human animal is a psychologically very complicated.

They would rather simplify the process down a one simple thing that absolves their children and more importantly them any responsibility because it makes them feel better about themselves.  Over the years these kind of irresponsible tossbags have blamed high school shootings, murder's, bullying and a multitude of crime's on video games, movies, music and even books.  The only media sources that have debatably led to violence and hatred are the so holy books like the Bible and Quran, but that's another issue.

This violence bullcrap about video games and other media is a diversionary tactic for shitty parents and politicians to swing attention from what's really to blame, which easy access to guns (looking at you again, 2nD amendment), abject poverty, mental health and quite often themselves or least their living environment.

As much as people like @skyfire would like to because it's more convenient, you cannot the source of someone's and certainly not multiple people's violent behaviour down to one denominator.  It's case by case and complex.  Even the perps themselves usually don't properly understand why did what they did.

Let me sum it here:

VIOLENT MEDIA ALONE DOES NOT CREATE VIOLENT PEOPLE AND THIS HAS BEEN HAVE PROVEN DOZENS OF TIMES THROUGH DECADES OF STUDY, END OF STORY.

I think when it comes to violence in any regards, there's more to it than just what that person was exposed to. Yeah we are exposed to violence on tv, music, books, video games, and more. 

As well, if someone is going to act out violently, there is definitely something already present in that person's life causing them to act out in that way. Playing a violent video game if anything, would probably curb that person's problems, not push them to actually act out. But, each person is different. What I'm trying to say is this. If someone is going to be violent, it's in their nature to do so, and is not caused by a video game or violence in media. It's because this person has either had a horrible upbringings, bad things happened, and or their life was rough. Or there's a chemical imbalance causing someone to act in such a way. 

I think people can be inspired by video games, movies, and other forms of media, but I don't think it's the root cause of why someone would go out and kill or hurt others. 

On 2/28/2022 at 5:21 PM, Techno said:

Well of course not. violence doesn't come from a controller, it comes from the heart.

Although, what you feed the mind most of the time seems to take a strong hold in it and it can influence what one does. 

Preteens and teens can be heavily affected by the violence in the game, however, I do not think adults will be influenced by game violence. Preteens and teens cannot properly think and have hard time differentiating facts with fictions.