Register Now
StaceyPowers

Microtransactions done right?

Maybe Free to play games where the micro-transactions are only cosmetic and do not affect gameplay. I dont really purchase skins or anything like that, but as far as I know league of legends and Fortnite are two games where its just cosmetic micro-transactions. I could be wrong since I believe fortnite has lootboxes but I dont know much about them.

I think most of the android games have it right. For example Real defense game make use of the microtransactions for buying new heroes. You can play F2P as well but you have to grind longer in such case. I have learned to grind longer instead of paying the microtransactions. Some microtransaction based games can be good for those who have money for others it may not be. 

Most Android video games have micro transactions right. Nowadays, applications tend to have in game purchases for cosmetics rather than gameplay which is how it should be.

Two negative aspects I can see is upgrades can be very costly and you may need to make further purchases otherwise it could affect your gameplay. 

Yes I think in-app purchases is what they call in the Android market. In case of regular gaming they call it micro transactions. I think if any game is charging more than 19$ on the purchase then in such case it is better those gaming companies need to avoid microtransactions because gamers may not like investing money on that on the top of purchasing the games. 

Plants Vs. Zombies 2 handled microtransactions quite well imho. You could play the game from start to finish for free and it didn't feel ridiculously difficult to get too far in it. Granted, the later levels became pretty difficult and leaned into tempting players into buying upgrades for their flowers. However, for a F2P game -- and a franchise I'm quite fond of -- I enjoyed putting a dozen hours into it for free and bouncing off of it. One of the few F2P games I've played that I remember fondly.

Anthem I feel is doing microtransactions perfectly. Nothing is locked behind exclusive paywalls and everything can be bought using in-game currency. It also has no loot boxes, everything is there and you can examine it before buying it.

Though my favourite game to do microtransactions is probably Guild Wars 2.