Register Now
StaceyPowers

Adjustment phases with new games

When you play a new game, do you have an “adjustment” phase?

I don’t just mean learning the new controls, but also an overall adaptation to how the game world looks, feels and behaves. For me, it’s almost like a form of culture shock, but it’s more like “universe shock.” Like I’ve landed on a new planet and feel discombobulated for a while. I even will have dreams for the first night or two where my brain is trying to adjust to the new “reality” it has been interacting with.

It’s kind of weird and annoying … but kind of cool too.

Like when I started Bioshock Infinite, for the first couple nights, I was dizzy from everything moving up and down, and overwhelmed by the crowds in the starting area. But after a few nights, being in Columbia felt totally natural and normal.

I imagine adjustment phases like this are even more dramatic with VR, and have always wondered if that is so.

I play different genres like action and horror and then tower defense. All of them are different in terms of gameplay. So I never get easy in terms of gaming. I have to keep on adjusting on strategy and survival on that. I also have to adjust the gaming experience on mobile and the PC. So it all depends on how effectively you handle the transition. As we get more and more older we tend to do less multi task. So that phase happens.