Register Now
Alexander.

Intel or AMD

On 7/19/2019 at 2:10 PM, skyfire said:

Indeed the competition between the two definitely makes things lot  better. And for something like that there needs to be two processor companies out there or more for that matter. 

Well ARM is going to join the fray soon so we will have even more competition in the processor market - ARM is basically responsible for being the building blocks for the processors of mobile phones so it will be very interesting to see how this race will turn out.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:07 PM, Alyxx said:

I've gone with AMD since my second PC. I've gone from AMD Sempron to AMD Phenom II and then AMD Ryzen 7.

I'm in two minds as I'm tempted to hold out for 3950X but I could just buy the 3900X on Black Friday/Cyber Monday but I just can't make up my mind...

AMD has improved a lot in the recent years, especially after the release of Ryzen and newer Athlons, but currently, it's a matter of budget, budget i3's for intel are kinda so good in gaming for a very low price, but in AMD you get more cores for the same price, not powerful cores as in intel CPU's in the same range (talking about mid and low range) but enough cores that you can use in both gaming and your other workstation stuff such as editing or streaming

On 9/22/2019 at 12:07 AM, Alyxx said:

I've gone with AMD since my second PC. I've gone from AMD Sempron to AMD Phenom II and then AMD Ryzen 7.

i'm Glad you didn't step on a FX-series CPU when upgrading, good choice!

On 12/29/2020 at 8:44 AM, skyfire said:

Gaming on i3 wont be much powerful. In fact nobody recommends it. Considering you need more power in core compared to the i3. I think that is one reason Ryzen is being in demand  lately. 

Actually, the i3 10300 is performing the same as a i7 7700K, i3's improved over time

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

I honestly never used FX series CPUs. so no idea how they performed. as for i3 I think a lot of games just don't go well on that, though 10th gen i3 is pretty good. 

you are lucky you didn't try them, they were called failures, they were good in Overclocking, but overclocking something that's bad at the first place won't bring you that much of performance, not to forget that they had fake cores, for example, the FX 8350 had 8 modules but AMD was advertising them as real cores, which made it lose money later

For strictly gaming, Intel is better due to higher clock speeds per core. Having said that, Ryzen does offer a good value especially when you consider price to how many cores and threads it offers then Intel. However Ryzen does perform better in multithreaded processes in some cases, yet they have improved and becoming so much more.

AMD has been and is taken over intel in many cases, that's why most people nowadays are going with AMD. Modern AMD Ryzen CPU's have similar single core performance to 4th-7th gen Intel Core CPU's at the same clock speeds but with more cores, overclocking support and AMD's version of hyperthreading for the same or better prices. 8th and 9th gen Intel CPU's have about 25-30% higher single core performance than Ryzen CPU's at the same clock speeds but at a big price premium, i3's and i5's don't have any hyperthreading and non-K processor can't be overclocked so you may suffer from bottlenecks in future titles that benefit from multi-threading and select current titles if you go with a cheaper Intel offering.

End of that, I went with INtel as I'm still a Intel person 🙂 They are better overclocking and no errors with the memory module, not like AMD. AMD can OC but always have memory that doesn't like it. i7 10700K  🙂 

8 hours ago, Empire said:

hey are better overclocking and no errors with the memory module,

Actually NO :P, AMD does better in terms of memory speeds when it comes to rams, the faster your ram is, the better your CPU performs and Ryzens benefit a lot from rams speeds.

About Intel, it overclocks better, but not to forget that AMD was the first company to reach 1Ghz in CPU's, and the FX series were the cpu's that got world records in terms of core clocks, you can find more about that here :

https://valid.x86.fr/records.html

21 hours ago, Empire said:

For strictly gaming, Intel is better due to higher clock speeds per core. Having said that, Ryzen does offer a good value especially when you consider price to how many cores and threads it offers then Intel. However Ryzen does perform better in multithreaded processes in some cases, yet they have improved and becoming so much more.

AMD has been and is taken over intel in many cases, that's why most people nowadays are going with AMD. Modern AMD Ryzen CPU's have similar single core performance to 4th-7th gen Intel Core CPU's at the same clock speeds but with more cores, overclocking support and AMD's version of hyperthreading for the same or better prices. 8th and 9th gen Intel CPU's have about 25-30% higher single core performance than Ryzen CPU's at the same clock speeds but at a big price premium, i3's and i5's don't have any hyperthreading and non-K processor can't be overclocked so you may suffer from bottlenecks in future titles that benefit from multi-threading and select current titles if you go with a cheaper Intel offering.

End of that, I went with INtel as I'm still a Intel person 🙂 They are better overclocking and no errors with the memory module, not like AMD. AMD can OC but always have memory that doesn't like it. i7 10700K  🙂 

I guess market lobby where intel gives incentives to the sellers that is where AMD has to work more. Once they have that too, then soon intel will be struggling to sell processors. Even apple ditched them.