Register Now
StaceyPowers

Most disappointing sequel?

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey for me. Basically it was just a huge disappointment, taking the story into a much more depressing tone, adding game mechanics that were half baked, and having a whole bunch of inaccuracies with the previous game. Also the title is just stupidly pretentious.

4 hours ago, DylanC said:

Probably Silent Hill Book Of Memories or Duke Nukem Forever. Both didn’t resonate with me at all.

Duke Nukem Forever is actually one of my favourite sequels lol

I think Witcher series for me turned out to be boring. Same I'd say about new assassins creed games. There is also the call of duty and far cry sequels that got me bored a lot. I didn't expected some of those sequels going wrong. 

16 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Some of the Zelda games on GameBoy were a serious let down. Oracle Of Ages was nothing but a pain in the ass.

Yeah for me it was a Link between worlds, it was very acclaimed but I finished the game in a week and it was very average for a Zelda game

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

@Alyxx @DylanC I'm curious about both of your opinions on Duke Nukem Forever.

I wasn’t impressed with it. Loved the original 3D one on PC back in the day. Gearbox’s one wasn’t funny, lacked heart and felt archaic. Didn’t help that its visuals were subpar and the game crashed on me constantly.

11 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

@Alyxx @DylanC I'm curious about both of your opinions on Duke Nukem Forever.

It's one of my favourite games. I really dig the amount of minigames there are and how they mix up the gameplay constantly with turret sections, driving sections and even some really inventive level design by shrinking Duke to action figure size during some segments which gives a whole new perspective on the world. It just never feels repetitive and you feel like you're progressing to very distinct environments. There's even a level set in a strip club where the game essentially becomes a walking simulator where all you do is grab some items and explore the environment which feels extremely fitting and taking the interactivity in Duke 3D to a new level.

I also really dug the humor, I thought it was spot on and in that kind of b-movie bad taste way that I love. I know it's probably not for everyone and the reviews of the game did reflect that but for me it hit all the right spots and I think it is spot on for a Duke Nukem game.

9 hours ago, DylanC said:

I wasn’t impressed with it. Loved the original 3D one on PC back in the day. Gearbox’s one wasn’t funny, lacked heart and felt archaic. Didn’t help that its visuals were subpar and the game crashed on me constantly.

Gearbox only did some minor polish work on it. Most of the work was done by ex-3D Realms employees and 3D Realms. They were also responsible for the subpar console ports. The PC version is the version I recommend people playing as it allows you to turn off the godawful post processing effects and it makes the game actually look better.

Edited by Alyxx

Perfect Dark Zero and Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts are two that come in mind. I tried the beginning but didn't play for long.

From franchises I cared a bit more, I guess one of the latest games of Ace Attorney, I think it was Apollo Justice. Because of a case where one of the protagonists seemed to haven't learned anything from past games and the story of that case just felt like a rehash that really undermined the climax of a past entry in the series and because of that some moments felt like he was acting out of character. It frustrated me quite a bit. Other than that the game was good.

3 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

@DylanC @Alyxx Thank you both for weighing in. Context-wise, it sounds like the platform on which one plays the game has a pretty big effect on the overall experience. I've been curious about it since hearing about it, as I remember the classic Duke Nukem on PC fondly. 

Hey if you're into both oldschool and modern shooters and can handle some crude humor, I'd easily recommend it.