Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why Are There So Few Women in TLOU?

Obviously there are women in TLOU—there’s Ellie and Tess and quite a few others. There are plenty of female clickers too. But whenever we’re fighting human enemies, they seem to be exclusively men (I can’t remember if there are exceptions to that, but on the whole, they are almost all men).

Any theories as to why this might be? I played through about half the game before I even noticed, but once I did, I realized how disproportionate it was. Anyone have any guesses as to where all the women are?

I could be mistaken but I do vaguely recall there being some kind of explanation as to why the men outpopulate the woman in this universe.  I think it was something to do with the Cordyceps infection rate being higher among women.  It's something that tied into David's town and how they needed to capture woman and girls (like Ellie) in order to maintain the population.

If I find the exact reference I'll post it here.

Edited by Crazycrab

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

In times like that men are usually a threat and get executed for anything, so maybe that's why the majority of fireflies and bandits were men while females stayed at the zones. 

I actually believe that woman won't make the best character for such role play required by men. Imagine a woman bandit, yes it's possible but it looks odd. 

24 minutes ago, Heatman said:

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

In times like that men are usually a threat and get executed for anything, so maybe that's why the majority of fireflies and bandits were men while females stayed at the zones. 

I actually believe that woman won't make the best character for such role play required by men. Imagine a woman bandit, yes it's possible but it looks odd. 

No, I'm sorry but I just can't agree with either of you there.  Women are just as capable of ruthlessness and cruelty as men, especially under the extreme circumstances as presented in The Last of Us storyline.  I'm male, but I could imagine hence role play a female being theif, bandit or a murderer very easily. That being because they exist and have done for thousands of years.  I don't drop double standards.

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

When you say something that's in agreement with something an animated Disney villain from the 1970's said, that's already a worry...

But even without that, what you just said is actually quite sexist even if it were true. At least in the world of Robin Hood it makes some sense because it's the middle ages and like it or not the gender roles were what they were, but for TLOU it doesn't make sense at all. Throughout history woman have been robbing people, it's not a gender specific profession.

Spoilers Ahead

I remember Henry said something about how the hunters in Pittsburgh "Didn't keep woman and kids around", and then there's the thing @Crazycrab mentioned about David's town of cannibals. Between those two area's, the Soldiers in Boston (many of them are female if I remember correctly), Robert's goons and the Fireflies at the end, that's pretty much all the human's you fight in the game. You're probably right @StaceyPowers, TLOU is a bit bit of a sausage-fest, but there is some logic to it. The second game was a lot better in this regard, though.

Edited by Shagger

29 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

No, I'm sorry but I just can't agree with either of you there.  Women are just as capable of ruthlessness and cruelty as men, especially under the extreme circumstances as presented in The Last of Us storyline.  I'm male, but I could imagine hence role play a female being theif, bandit or a murderer very easily. That being because they exist and have done for thousands of years.  I don't drop double standards.

I agree, I was just stating a proven fact through history that men are always considered a threat in a hostile situation and often executed. As far as bandits, anyone with a gun has fear factor regardless of man or woman. The question was why are there fewer women in human enemies. Maybe it is the fungus. Maybe because men are always trying to be alpha dominant. Maybe because men are threatened more at the zones. Maybe we just didn't see the women as enemies. 

9 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I agree, I was just stating a proven fact through history that men are always considered a threat in a hostile situation and often executed. As far as bandits, anyone with a gun has fear factor regardless of man or woman. The question was why are there fewer women in human enemies. Maybe it is the fungus. Maybe because men are always trying to be alpha dominant. Maybe because men are threatened more at the zones. Maybe we just didn't see the women as enemies. 

No one says that woman aren't capable of such acts, but it's more linked to men when you consider the numbers game even in real life of those into suck acts. Woman can be involved in it, but never sure if they would be able to dominate it more than man do. Although looking down on them as women may be the determining factor that gives the ones in it an edge to take you by surprise. 

On 9/19/2021 at 1:19 AM, Head_Hunter said:

Some games are mainly developed with male fighters than females, they believe men are for war, Lol. I never played TLOU before, I'll check out the game's trailer. 

Maybe there's a good chance that men are seen to be warmongers than women but it doesn't make woman bad at war too.