Register Now
Alexander.

Pre-Ordering

I have mostly purchased the pre order games and also the bundles. Some of the time I also went for the edition specific pre ordering option. And this way I have managed to pre order the game most of the time. Console would be too hard for me to get in flash sale or pre order. 

I used to that like 3-4 years ago but I have noticed that developers have been releasing these half-assed unfinished live service games that I find very distasteful. Add to the fact that developers are signing last-minute exclusivity deals with Epic Games without informing consumers and pre-ordering is no go for me.

I've preordered games, but never a console. I always wait around a year or more if I have intent on getting a new generation console. The price has gone down by then, their upgraded stuff is out which gives me more options. There are more games to choose from many of which have also gone down in price. I just don't see the point of paying $650 on release day, when I can pay $300 if I just wait a bit.

If PS 5 comes into the pre ordering. I may consider paying the deposit required. I know there is going to be the time block where the pre ordering phase is going to start. I have to save some money for that I guess. 

Allowing people to pre-order games is a brilliant marketing technique but I think from a consumer's point of view, it is extremely dumb. You're paying extra, in some cases, a lot more, to play a game a few days before everyone else. That doesn't sound smart to me at all, just impatient, but I guess that is why the marketing technique of pre-ordering has thrived so much, humans' general nature is impatience.

2 hours ago, ARx182 said:

Allowing people to pre-order games is a brilliant marketing technique but I think from a consumer's point of view, it is extremely dumb. You're paying extra, in some cases, a lot more, to play a game a few days before everyone else. That doesn't sound smart to me at all, just impatient, but I guess that is why the marketing technique of pre-ordering has thrived so much, humans' general nature is impatience.

Very true, but there are often extras that come with a preorder. Collectible stuff, and special in-game goodies. Most recently, FF7 had a lot of extras for those that preordered it.

Pre-ordering makes sense if you want to secure a physical copy of a came of special edition that you know will be in high demand and limited in availability and/or of your salary payments or availability of funds dictates that pre-ordering at a certain time is better in consideration of controlling your finances (God, I sound like such a grown up dork!). Other than that, pre-odering is something that should be avoided. Companies want you to do it so they can have your money before they're actually due it to please their investors.

Still, if you want the bells and whistles from a pro-order, but begrudge that developer/publisher the satisfaction, here's a tip. Pre-order just a few minutes before the game is released. That company doesn't get to boast about that pre-sale to it's never rich enough board and investors and you get the perks. Everyone wins.

On 7/20/2020 at 7:59 AM, DudeThatsErin said:

I've never pre-ordered a console but I want to with the new ones, I'm just worried I won't have the money for them when they release. 😞 It would be cool to get one immediately.

I think that is pretty much story of many people this year. And a lot of people have pre ordered for the same reason becaus nobody knows the economy during this christmas. 

1 hour ago, _B_ said:

I've never really had the intentions to pre-order a game. Might end up doing it soon but I doubt it. 

Only pre ordering worth it right now is the PS 5. And games can be pretty much coming next year as well.