Register Now
Alexander.

Do you leave your PC on or turn it off?

Do you leave your PC on most of the time or turn it off? Leaving your PC running can waste energy and raise your electricity bill when your not using them! Your best of shutting it down after each use or at least hibernating the system. Hope this helps you!

18 hours ago, Alyxx said:

If I'm downloading something big or defragging I leave it on. Otherwise I turn it off.

I'm not to sure and I wanted answer for this question so I'm wondering if you could help. Do you know whether leaving a PC on for pro longed periods of time can damage the system components? If so, what's the best way to prevent parts getting damaged from over use? Thank you. 

2 hours ago, xXInfectedXx said:

I'm not to sure and I wanted answer for this question so I'm wondering if you could help. Do you know whether leaving a PC on for pro longed periods of time can damage the system components? If so, what's the best way to prevent parts getting damaged from over use? Thank you. 

The only way I could see leaving your PC on damaging the components would be if there was insufficient ventilation causing overheating. And even in the event of overheating, most PC's will turn themselves off to prevent damage. Otherwise I don't see any way it could happen.

Edited by Alyxx

On 3/4/2019 at 4:36 AM, xXInfectedXx said:

Do you leave your PC on most of the time or turn it off? Leaving your PC running can waste energy and raise your electricity bill when your not using them! Your best of shutting it down after each use or at least hibernating the system. Hope this helps you!

I usually sleepw ith it on while watching YouTube videos and then I complain about the electricity bill like everyone else!

Also, I usually tend to disconnect my entire setup every time I go out.. To conserve eneergy

I usually leave it on 24/7 - I'm generally working on lots of things and despite the fact I know I'm saving my stuff and I got backups in place all over, i get very paranoid that I'll lose my stuff if I shut it off or something similar. I know it's a bit of a silly thing but hey, that's my thing lol. Marginal effects on my bills so I don't mind the added pence here and there! 

Keeping it always on kind of increases the bills. And also these days many apps tend to eat the data by running in the background. So that's one reason I prefer to have the machine shut down and even turn off the wifi module. 

On 3/23/2019 at 9:19 AM, Martin Berisford said:

I usually leave it on 24/7 - I'm generally working on lots of things and despite the fact I know I'm saving my stuff and I got backups in place all over, i get very paranoid that I'll lose my stuff if I shut it off or something similar. I know it's a bit of a silly thing but hey, that's my thing lol. Marginal effects on my bills so I don't mind the added pence here and there! 

AND THEN YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT THE ELECTRICITY BILL LIKE ANY NORMAL PERSON RIGHT?!

32 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

He did say that the price doesn't matter. As long as he is comfortable with it, I don't see a problem.

I keep making the joke but seriously, the electricity bill going up is almost normal with us PC Gamers