Register Now
StaceyPowers

Sitting and staring at the scenery

If you play games where there are breaks in the action, do you spend much time sitting around (or walking around) and just staring at the scenery, listening to the atmospheric sounds of the environment, and imagining you are really there? I suspect I spend way more time doing this than the average gamer (considering how many more hours I seem to take to finish games than the “average” for those games), but I wonder if other people do it too.

I do this because I just can’t bring myself to rush past what amounts to beautiful artwork—but also because taking some time to smell the roses makes the experience feel more real and “lived in” to me.

I do this a lot. There are often times in Zelda OoT that I'll go to lake Hylia and just leave Link there staring at the water. Listening to the waves, the bugs, and enjoying it. I do the same thing in FF8 as well. My favorite place is Fisherman's Horizon. The primitive, yet technologically advanced town is just relaxing and beautiful. I always felt that I could easily live there. I could never live in Esthar, Dollet, or Galbadia. Possibly Winhill. But if FH wasn't an option it would be Balamb.

Even though I'm aquaphobic, I would love to live on water.

Sometimes I take a break to take in the scope of the graphics. It's nice to go in and see a world that you might not be able to visit, but it's right there in front of you. Seeing the scope of the world helps a lot as well. Especially in games like Red Dead Redemption 2, and other games with expansive worlds that look stunning.  

I've done it Red Dead Redemption 2 to be fair and even GTA V. Taking in the scenery, the AI fighting and all kinds of shenanigans occurring in-game. I also love doing it with Skyrim as well, especially during Dragon or Vampire attacks. I just love to see how the city guards and civs handle the situation as well as the outcome. I'm a terrible Dragonborn, aren't I?

On 10/15/2021 at 6:12 PM, Heatman said:

If a video game graphics set is very beautiful, appreciating it is a very normal thing to do. Take a look at how realistic the graphics in Cyberpunk 2077 was, it's a thing of beauty. 

I'm just learning now that the game is out again on PC and consoles since it's initial take down from both stores as it was unplayable then. I'm going to try and check it out and hope it's not too buggy. 

On 10/15/2021 at 12:18 AM, Justin11 said:

Cyberpunk video is one of those open world game that is made realistic. I watched the trailer many times, it's kind of game I'll consider when I upgrade my console soon. 

Well, the bugs in the game was what killed it off for most gamers. Even now it's out again, most gamers have given up on the game. 

14 hours ago, Boblee said:

Well, the bugs in the game was what killed it off for most gamers. Even now it's out again, most gamers have given up on the game. 

It seems like, it's devs aren't doing anything tangible to rectify the issues of the bugs to make it enjoyable and not killing the spirit of it's players off. 

On 3/6/2019 at 10:05 PM, StaceyPowers said:

If you play games where there are breaks in the action, do you spend much time sitting around (or walking around) and just staring at the scenery, listening to the atmospheric sounds of the environment, and imagining you are really there? I suspect I spend way more time doing this than the average gamer (considering how many more hours I seem to take to finish games than the “average” for those games), but I wonder if other people do it too.

I do this because I just can’t bring myself to rush past what amounts to beautiful artwork—but also because taking some time to smell the roses makes the experience feel more real and “lived in” to me.

I do that most often especially when I'm just in the mood of appreciating a game and not just playing. It's more like exploring to appreciate.