Register Now
StaceyPowers

If you were good enough to game for a living, would you?

If I thought I had a real shot at making boatloads of cash, I could imagine playing at tournaments, but only for a very short span of time (i.e. less than a year). It looks like a lifestyle which makes a lot of other demanding jobs sound comparably easy.

Would you game for a living if you had the skills?

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

If I thought I had a real shot at making boatloads of cash, I could imagine playing at tournaments, but only for a very short span of time (i.e. less than a year). It looks like a lifestyle which makes a lot of other demanding jobs sound comparably easy.

Would you game for a living if you had the skills?

That's a hard one to answer to be honest. On one hand, I do love gaming a lot but sitting around doing one thing for extended periods of time per day is not my style - Well, not anymore.

12 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

That's a hard one to answer to be honest. On one hand, I do love gaming a lot but sitting around doing one thing for extended periods of time per day is not my style - Well, not anymore.

Me too...  I've never thought about doing full time, because it's more of a hobby..

Just now, mont86 said:

Me too...  I've never thought about doing full time, because it's more of a hobby..

It's got more to do with my attention span - I literally cannot sit still for more than a few hours or else I start to get restless.

6 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

It's got more to do with my attention span - I literally cannot sit still for more than a few hours or else I start to get restless.

That's me too.. I play in short bursts.. hahaha

I'd go for it. Considering I do spend a lot of time reviewing the games and also playing every now and then. I'd definitely go for the full time job if something happens wrong. I can tell you that it can be good option considering our demands are increasing and we need to have something stable as well. Game review, streaming, playing etc. are good jobs if you are enough competitive and smart in gaming. 

I believe that the question is almost rigged with a good answer attached to it because it says if you are good enough with the required skills, then I don't see any reason why such opportunity shouldn't be banked on. Personally, I think that I would take the opportunity. 

The most important question that should be asked before considering taking up such field is whether the payment would be lucrative enough to be able to sort out all your responsibilities? If yes, then it's definitely something anyone would be interested in doing. 

15 hours ago, Heatman said:

I believe that the question is almost rigged with a good answer attached to it because it says if you are good enough with the required skills, then I don't see any reason why such opportunity shouldn't be banked on. Personally, I think that I would take the opportunity. 

I wanted to make the question about personality rather than skills, as for most of us, the answer would be "I couldn't" if we talked about skills. If you had the gameplay skills, would you have the stamina/focus/determination to take on the career? My understanding of it is that it is quite a grueling profession, and it has a very high burnout rate.

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's actually exactly the kind of work I like, lol. But I wouldn't have the stamina required.

I think it takes a lot of mental and physical strength to be seated on the chair. And also you have to talk a lot in case if you are reviewing. You have to write script and also learn how to make use of the the time you have for review. Streaming can be also be stressful. And it can get you to work more in the process. 

8 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I wanted to make the question about personality rather than skills, as for most of us, the answer would be "I couldn't" if we talked about skills. If you had the gameplay skills, would you have the stamina/focus/determination to take on the career? My understanding of it is that it is quite a grueling profession, and it has a very high burnout rate.

That's actually exactly the kind of work I like, lol. But I wouldn't have the stamina required.

Who knows how some people would take it? We all do some crazy jobs at one point in time, so in my opinion if the pay is worth it, then definitely the stress would count for nothing.