Register Now
StaceyPowers

Opinions on zombie games

I swear like once a day I see at least one person online complaining about “just another zombie game” with reference to one game or another.

I can understand getting sick of a trend that’s been played to death, but I largely don’t have a problem with it.

First of all, I really don’t care that much about a game’s subject or universe as much as I care about simply getting a great story or characters or overall experience.

Secondly, I can understand why our current culture is obsessed with zombies with reference to aspects of modern life as well as 20th and 21st century history. Given events of those timeframes, it is hard to visualize an idealized future. The closest thing to “optimism” we have in some ways is such a genre, where the world goes to sh*t, but a few individuals manage to retain their humanity.

What are your thoughts on the deluge of zombie games, TV, etc?

Never really saw a "deluge" of zombie games per se. but then again, that bandwagon happened like 5 or 6 years ago.

As for my favorite games, it's the usual suspects like Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead 2 and such. The Zombie apocalypse has always been an interesting subject to me and I can see the fun / tragic aspects of it.

Some games have plot to keep users engaged. Some others usually just have hack and slash type of approach meant for getting gamers to play and throw away type game. So I personally like the story, especially if it forces the survival out of the plot. Days Gone not exactly zombie but the creature and survival stuff in it makes me like the game more. I am planning for the same. 

I can say that most of zombies games are survival games. In general, people start getting bored of this concept because there are lots of zombies games in the market now. And, they have lots of things in common. The first one and the second one might be good. Players might love this idea. However, when it n+1 games published with zombies theme, everything starts getting lame. On top1apk, there are some zombies games. I was excited to try one but not volunteer to play them all. Even when some games have their own plot, it's hard to keep players all the time when they already played a lot zombies games. 

Zombie games are no different than the battle royale games, where your role is for survival. So it's not really boring concept. one just needs some sort of innovation in the story and the map. and then you have completely new game. 

In general, I don’t mind zombie games. As long as the game brings some kind of a new twist to the concept, then I can get on board with it. Like, I’m pretty pumped for Days Gone. The crazy amount of zombies on-screen combined with its narrative-focused open world is enough for me to get past its “just another zombie” vibe.

I have strong reasons to believe that most gamers always fancy playing survival games and zombie shooting games are one of most addictive survival games known to man. 

I have played so many survival zombie games than I can ever remember and I enjoyed playing all of them. 

I would guess ever since George A. Romero made the movie, "Night of the Living Dead" in 1968, people have gone crazy for this type of thing. These flesh eating and emotionless characters make them fun to shoot at, in video games and movies as well.

Some of the times it may seem like the concepts are over used. And there seems to be nothing new coming out. Like same old outbreak in city and then drama among survivors. This needs to change a bit for sure. 

On 3/18/2019 at 12:03 AM, DylanC said:

In general, I don’t mind zombie games. As long as the game brings some kind of a new twist to the concept, then I can get on board with it. Like, I’m pretty pumped for Days Gone. The crazy amount of zombies on-screen combined with its narrative-focused open world is enough for me to get past its “just another zombie” vibe.

Have you had a chance to play it yet? I'm really interested to hear what you think.

I think Zombie games are no longer a fad , they established as a genre of their own with so many great games and story wise its very easy to make a story about a zombie apocalypse so we never have a to worry about a bad story, even the cheesy ones are good. 

I think trend for the zombies has been changing. We no longer have pure zombie chase like the house of dead type islands. But now a days we have some of the stories in the zombie games which is a good thing. 

It gets old after a while. It seems that there's a fad going on that changes every 10 years or so. In the 80's it was daemons/devils. In the 90's it was vampires. In the 2000's it was witches. Now it's zombies. I expect in the next 5 years or so everyone will be done with zombies and have moved on to werewolves, or swamp monsters or some other crap. It's like following the fashion trends. What was hip and cool yesterday, is now something only a loser would wear/do/play/listen to. It never ends. I stay out of it unless it truly interests me. I quit watching The Walking Dead in the 5th season because it was the same damn thing over and over and over. They kill a bunch of walkers. Find a shelter. It gets overrun with walkers. They're forced onto the road to find another shelter. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

I'm. Fucking. Done.

Edited by The Blackangel

I expected the Metro exodus and Days gone to have serious infected zombies or creatures in the campaign. And realized that both games have different story and approach and they rely less on the zombie elements. I guess it's good that things are not pure zombie chasing and surviving. 

On 5/24/2019 at 12:59 PM, The Blackangel said:

In the 80's it was daemons/devils. In the 90's it was vampires. In the 2000's it was witches. Now it's zombies. I expect in the next 5 years or so everyone will be done with zombies and have moved on to werewolves, or swamp monsters or some other crap.

That is a hilariously spot-on summary. Although, in the 2000s I remember it being werewolves and more vampires. I don't recall the witches, but perhaps I was out of the loop (no surprise there).