Register Now
Alexander.

Working in the gaming industry

Do you have a job in the gaming industry? Are you looking for one? What steps are you taking to achieve your goal? 

Specifically, where are you planning to start? For example, game designing, testing, content creator or customer service? 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

I review games for a few different sites and have over 50 of my reviews on Metacritic so guess that makes me a content creator, right? I also write gaming news and features, but reviews are my bread and butter. I’m working on getting a byline at a super popular site sometime in the future. Here’s hoping 🤞🏼

2 hours ago, DylanC said:

I review games for a few different sites and have over 50 of my reviews on Metacritic so guess that makes me a content creator, right? I also write gaming news and features, but reviews are my bread and butter. I’m working on getting a byline at a super popular site sometime in the future. Here’s hoping 🤞🏼

I have the same objective and VGR has been my home for almost 3 months now.. So yeah. We're both on a good track.

I'd definitely pick the job if I can. I don't mind playing those VR games. And reviewing them would be a good job in itself. I think streaming job is also good. Some of the time it does get boring when there are no new games. But keeping those days aside, I'd say working in this industry is something I'd definitely go for if there is a good salary or so. 

On 3/13/2019 at 2:57 AM, skyfire said:

I'd definitely pick the job if I can. I don't mind playing those VR games. And reviewing them would be a good job in itself. I think streaming job is also good. Some of the time it does get boring when there are no new games. But keeping those days aside, I'd say working in this industry is something I'd definitely go for if there is a good salary or so. 

If you think gaming journalism is just about playing the new things and reviewing games you're in for a rude awakening, bud.

I think I would be interested in the multimedia artist jobs that are out there some where, since I like to draw and paint. The multimedia artist is responsible for dreaming, designing, visualizing and creating graphics for video games. 

Edited by Folk Artist

I wouldn't mind getting a job in the gaming industry as a Game Tester but I'd want to work for companies like Capcom that makes quality games. I have applied to quite a reputable websites across the internet but I never got accepted.

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I wouldn't mind getting a job in the gaming industry as a Game Tester but I'd want to work for companies like Capcom that makes quality games. I have applied to quite a reputable websites across the internet but I never got accepted.

It can be pretty hectic working as a tester. Especially testing entire game can be painfully hectic. There are some companies who test modules and the levels instead. And that can be fun to play though. 

On 5/5/2019 at 7:42 PM, killamch89 said:

Don't you mean QA Testing? ... Also I don't think they'd accept someone without at least some credentials so what were your applications like?

I work with a few people as a writer. I come up with different storylines, challenges and ideas for games. We make just kinda fan based spinoffs. Like ROM-hacks. All I do is think shit up, but the hardware, and actual software writing is another department.

On 5/12/2019 at 3:13 AM, TheSteelyardDweller said:

i thought growing up it would be cool to make games. but i don't have any of the skills. and honestly it doesn't look nearly as much fun IRL as i thought it would be when i was in school.

Gaming from the YoYogames can be pretty easy. But I find it harder to make the 3D quality games from it. I mean you need better engine for those type of the works like say cryengine or the realengine. 

Mostly scrolling shooter and jumper types. I have not yet released either one of them. I mostly do it for my own fun and boredom. I think if I can get enough money for android export license. I would surely release it as an app game.