Register Now
skyfire

Selling old PC Games for Cash or Credits

I remember a decade or so back there was one store near my place, which used to accept old working games media (as in CDs). And they used to give few credits or say discounts back for the new purchase. And some people also used to sell their working game media on ebay. I wonder how many of you have tried something like this. And if it was a good deal for you and got some money out of it?

On 3/13/2019 at 3:12 AM, skyfire said:

I remember a decade or so back there was one store near my place, which used to accept old working games media (as in CDs). And they used to give few credits or say discounts back for the new purchase. And some people also used to sell their working game media on ebay. I wonder how many of you have tried something like this. And if it was a good deal for you and got some money out of it?

Well, don't stores like CEX or Gamestop (lol) offer credit for their buyback programs?

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

We don't have CEX here. Newegg used to offer some of the credits in the past but that does not work anymore atleast here. So i am trying to find out if there are other buyback online and offline stores out there. 

Like I said, it's Gamestop.

CEX's parent company (webuy) can also be a good alternative

I've sold some of my old PC games, as far as I know if its a really old game like say Half Life and is single player only I think the serial will work on multiple PCs. I think if it's a multi player game the serial will work only on one game that trys to get online.

I think you'd have better luck selling old games on the Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, LetGo, and other p2p apps. You won't get a lot of money for them since the market for oldies is relatively small. But you might have something in your collection worth something 🙂

The market for old games is bigger than most people think. As old gamers like myself age, we start missing the days of our youth. Which includes the games we played. I'm virtually a classic gamer exclusively. I rarely go past anything from the N64 era, with the exception of some Switch games. For example the first Diablo game is in high demand, both PC and PS1. I have the PC game, but it's old enough that I can't play it on my current PC. Also I don't think it would run right through an external disk drive.

I'm surprised physical discs are still around, but I think they're coming to an end. Sony are charging $100 extra for the physical disc PS5 and one of the reasons they will die out is the extra cost - digital is cheaper.

Digital is the future, but I'm apprehensive about it. If the system gets fucked up or something, you could lose all the games you bought. You have a fried console, and all those games are gone. Now you have to buy them all over again. It's just not something I'm the biggest fan of. Granted I have a lot of DDL's on my Switch, but if I could have gotten a physical copy of some of them I would have.

10 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Digital is the future, but I'm apprehensive about it. If the system gets fucked up or something, you could lose all the games you bought. You have a fried console, and all those games are gone. Now you have to buy them all over again. It's just not something I'm the biggest fan of. Granted I have a lot of DDL's on my Switch, but if I could have gotten a physical copy of some of them I would have.

Digital games are attached to your Steam/PS/whatever account once purchased, so the only way you could lose all the games you bought is if you forget your details, which would be your own fault.

Edited by ARx182

It works differently with Nintendo. You pay for the download, and once it's installed, that's it. There's no fail safe. And with the codes you buy, once that code is redeemed once, it's from then on invalid. Nintendo sucks on the DDL security. That's why I treat my Switch like gold. So I don't have to worry about this for as long as possible.