Register Now
Alexander.

Games for specific genders

Do you think manufacturers and gaming companies are targeting their video games towards a specific gender at all? Of course computer amusements are gender neutral, there's no argument about that. 

Share your opinion please on this matter and elaborate why. 

I think they are making use of the gender neutrality and forcing people to play diverse genders. How much that will be successful is a bit debated.But there is going to be money no matter what type of game you make. I think where this trend takes would be an interesting experience to try out. 

For most AAA games it feels like they are trying to target both demographics with things that cater to both. And with most games nowadays giving you the option to play as both genders, I feel they are very gender neutral.

I think gender marketing is more common in the toy business to be honest. As well as TV and cinema tends to sometimes have content that is specifically gender targeted.

Not saying there aren't games that are very specifically gender targeted, but they're not that common.

6 hours ago, Alyxx said:

For most AAA games it feels like they are trying to target both demographics with things that cater to both. And with most games nowadays giving you the option to play as both genders, I feel they are very gender neutral.

I think gender marketing is more common in the toy business to be honest. As well as TV and cinema tends to sometimes have content that is specifically gender targeted.

Not saying there aren't games that are very specifically gender targeted, but they're not that common.

Well, considering how much gaming has failed to appeal to both genders when they deliberately try to do so (looking at you BFV), it's dumb to say that gender marketing should be a common practice in gaming. It's much better to market a game based on its accolades instead.

8 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

Well, considering how much gaming has failed to appeal to both genders when they deliberately try to do so (looking at you BFV), it's dumb to say that gender marketing should be a common practice in gaming. It's much better to market a game based on its accolades instead.

Hey, I don't mind badass female soldiers in WW2 situations. I just mind them trying to convince us it's based on historic facts...

1 hour ago, Alyxx said:

Hey, I don't mind badass female soldiers in WW2 situations. I just mind them trying to convince us it's based on historic facts...

Which is why this marketingt ploy didn't work at all...

Not helping things was the mocking of criticism at that event...

2 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

Which is why this marketingt ploy didn't work at all...

Not helping things was the mocking of criticism at that event...

Not at all. If they had just plain admitted they took artistic liberties and put a disclaimer "this game is not accurate" I think people would've loved it as an alternate reality thing. So the issue wasn't really the gender thing but more them acting like jackasses about it.

Edited by Alyxx