Register Now
kingpotato

Video games real life movie adaptations

Why are Videogame based movies bad ? Detective Pikachu will be released soon as well as a Sonic movie but we dont know if they will be bad or not. Is there any video game movie you actually like or any hope of a particular game made into a movie ?
The first mortal kombat movie is a guilty pleasure for me 

I think a lot of video games had a good movies for example, resident evil, silent hill, lara croft etc. Those were some interesting movies which were adapted for better stories. I am not sure about pikachu and sonic though. I don't like those fury designs. 

12 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think a lot of video games had a good movies for example, resident evil, silent hill, lara croft etc. Those were some interesting movies which were adapted for better stories. I am not sure about pikachu and sonic though. I don't like those fury designs. 

Well to be honest for me those where very awful movies, the angelina jolie lara croft was the worst of them

Yeah, the Resident Evil and Tomb Raider movies were pretty bad, though props to Angelina Jolie for really getting in shape for those movies and doing all the stunt work herself. And at the time she was a perfect casting choice. I can't really think of any game movie adaption I've enjoyed other than as a "so dumb it's enjoyable" movie, like the previous Doom movie which admittedly had kind of a b-movie charm to it.

I hear good things about the most recent Tomb Raider movie though, which I haven't seen yet. Seems worth checking out at least.

Edited by Alyxx

5 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Yeah, the Resident Evil and Tomb Raider movies were pretty bad, though props to Angelina Jolie for really getting in shape for those movies and doing all the stunt work herself. And at the time she was a perfect casting choice. I can't really think of any game movie adaption I've enjoyed other than as a "so dumb it's enjoyable" movie, like the previous Doom movie which admittedly had kind of a b-movie charm to it.

I hear good things about the most recent Tomb Raider movie though, which I haven't seen yet. Seems worth checking out at least.

I havent seen the most recent Lara croft moview, but its true I havent heard anything bad about it so I might watch it one of these days.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:34 AM, kingpotato said:

Well to be honest for me those where very awful movies, the angelina jolie lara croft was the worst of them

Anjeline jolie was the best choice of lara croft both figure wise and the acting wise. The new lara croft neither looks good physically nor with acting. Because Alicia vikander has this personality not suitable for lara croft. They tried and failed. 

Silent Hill's first movie was good. But second seems to be big dragged. Also they had no real story in the second. And they just wanted to extend for the sake of it. I'd say on that note it would be good if they properly make new tangent stories of silent hill. 

On 3/16/2019 at 9:46 PM, skyfire said:

Anjeline jolie was the best choice of lara croft both figure wise and the acting wise. The new lara croft neither looks good physically nor with acting. Because Alicia vikander has this personality not suitable for lara croft. They tried and failed. 

Still the Angelina Jolie's Lara Croft movie was pretty bad, like B-movie bad though.

10 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Still the Angelina Jolie's Lara Croft movie was pretty bad, like B-movie bad though.

I don't think so. It had pretty much good plot in second movie. However alicia vikanders movie sounds like B movie that I agree. 

13 hours ago, skyfire said:

I don't think so. It had pretty much good plot in second movie. However alicia vikanders movie sounds like B movie that I agree. 

I think I disagree even more, the second installment with Angelina Jolie was even worse, now that was a B-movie. I havent seen the Alicia Vikanders version but I'm pretty sure its better.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:11 PM, DylanC said:

I really liked the Silent Hill movie. It’s uneven in places but it’s definitely one of the best video game to movie adaptations. I wrote some words about it a while back defending the film. https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/defense-silent-hill-2006//

There are scenes in the film that are direct recreations from the game. Sounds, music, colors and even meticulous set design that pays homage to the game series.

8 hours ago, Nama Rawras said:

There are scenes in the film that are direct recreations from the game. Sounds, music, colors and even meticulous set design that pays homage to the game series.

Absolutely this^ For all its flaws, it at least looked the part. The first Silent Hill movie genuinely felt like an authentic interpretation of its source material and it shows.