Register Now
The Blackangel

Age Of Empires

Am I the only one that's a fan of this game? I have logged so many hours playing that it's absolutely crazy. I can build up one hell of an empire and just slaughter my opponents. My favorite is AOE2. AOE1 was great but a bit lacking. And try as I might, I just couldn't get into AOE3.

So are there any other fans?

I think AOE2  was one of the good games because they had stories and small quests in them. And it was fun playing those small quests and the stories. I'd say it definitely was a good experience upto that. AOE3 and onwards I have them in backlog. 

On 3/20/2019 at 12:46 AM, skyfire said:

I think AOE2  was one of the good games because they had stories and small quests in them. And it was fun playing those small quests and the stories. I'd say it definitely was a good experience upto that. AOE3 and onwards I have them in backlog. 

AOE2 was my game! @The Blackangel you aren't the only fan of this game - I loved the original game as well as the DLCs. I loved building a super empire with the main base taking up 1/5 of the entire map and it was heavily armed. Once I built my super army I flanked the enemy's turf completely crushing them. I usually used a super small squad as the first wave and had three other squads approach the same turf from the other sides.

On 3/29/2019 at 2:46 AM, skyfire said:

I see a lot of youtubers still go back to the AOE for their loved campaigns. I mean those campaign games were the real fun. And even better with the multiplayer options. I think those classic games were fun for sure. 

I still play AEO because it is a ridiculously fun game to play.

On 4/6/2019 at 1:35 PM, skyfire said:

Indeed. And it being bare minimum graphics yet the challenge remains the same. I would love to see someone makes something simple yet challenging like the age of mythology and the age of empires. 

I love building expansive armies and sending them all at once to annihilate my opponent.

If you check the microsoft's studio website, they seem to be working on the Age of Empires 4th installation. And they have trailer up already. Though nothing about gameplay released. So that's one reason I think not a lot of videos are out on that. 

12 hours ago, skyfire said:

If you check the microsoft's studio website, they seem to be working on the Age of Empires 4th installation. And they have trailer up already. Though nothing about gameplay released. So that's one reason I think not a lot of videos are out on that. 

They have an HD edition of AOE2 along with new DLCs but it is great to hear that they will be finally delivering the 4th edition.

14 hours ago, skyfire said:

I just hope they don't screw up like they did with AOE3. God that one sucked. There was absolutely nothing about it that was even remotely enjoyable. AOE 1 was graound breaking, AOE 2 was a masterpiece, and AOE 3 nearly killed the franchise. Learn from your fuck ups Microsoft!

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I just hope they don't screw up like they did with AOE3. God that one sucked. There was absolutely nothing about it that was even remotely enjoyable. AOE 1 was graound breaking, AOE 2 was a masterpiece, and AOE 3 nearly killed the franchise. Learn from your fuck ups Microsoft!

I agree. I tried the 3rd one for a couple of days and I got tired of it pretty quickly. At least they won't try to sneak any micro-transaction systems into the game like some other publishers *cough**EA, Bethesda**cough*

On 4/22/2019 at 5:09 AM, The Blackangel said:

Yes AOE 2 was definitely good. Though there wasnt much good graphics. I think it did well for that time. In case of AOE 3 I think it was poorly made with stories rushed and also there was't something strong in the campaigns to hold onto either. So that's another reason it was kind of waste of time and money. 

Exactly. They had good ideas for expansion packs, but those didn't make a lot of sense when tied in to the rest of the game. I bought the War Chiefs expansion, and it never made any improvements to the game. They were always NPC's and the game always made them non-active allies. And having to ship back to another town to do almost EVERYTHING was a bad move by the writers. Also, why did they switch from mining gold to silver? How did that improve the game? Every AOE game has had a car in it with the cheat codes. But AOE3 had a damn monster truck. And the bouncing George Washington head? WHAT IN THE GOD DAMN ALMIGHTY FUCK WAS THAT? WERE THE WRITERS SMOKING CRACK? I've seen some goofy cheats in video games before, but that one takes the retard cake.

I think they were just trying to push the release. I think what they felt that after AOE 2 it would be easier for them to sell. But they didn't paid attention that campaign with stories and some good expansion pack is what made AOE succeed in 2nd game. But they fail to replicate that in 3rd. No idea how the 4th is going to be.