Register Now
Alexander.

Gaming in prisions

What do you think about rewarding prisoners who have proven they can behave?

I understand some Prisions offer luxury incentives such as a Television but do you think offering inmates with gaming equipment is seen as acceptable or unacceptable? Why?

At the end of the day, they are there for one reason. A bad crime! 

I think it should be an incentive for good behavior.  I mean, everybody makes mistakes. However, I've heard at least one person saying gaming is "being too soft to prisoners".  Anyway, the games they play should be monitored, or should they?  For instance, would violent games increase violent behavior and/or be a mockery of the prison?

Edited by Jayson

All these changes to prison is making it seem more like a resort than a reform institution. They're there to be punished, not babied. But still the justice system in this country is a joke. It's severely broken, and needs more repair than we could ever afford. The best way would be to just scrap the whole damn thing and start from scratch.

I think problem with lot of percentage of the criminals is that once they do it as a profession. They are harder to change. But those who do it out of anger and the some heat of the moment, those people tend to change and often deserve some good time in prison too. 

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think problem with lot of percentage of the criminals is that once they do it as a profession. They are harder to change. But those who do it out of anger and the some heat of the moment, those people tend to change and often deserve some good time in prison too. 

I think there should be REAL CHANGE before they are allowed video games.  I mean, talking about people who have become Born Again Christians or something.  OK, I would say the same for other perks (things allowed for good behavior).

Guys with all do respect you dont know nothing about prison, its a whole different world. As well anything can be obtained inside Prison, you dont need to be "allowed", cellphones, drugs, money, Alcohol,  hell I dont think that having a gameboy inside there will be an issue.

22 hours ago, skyfire said:

Seriously, I understand that there are some people who are wrongly in prison but it's going to be impossible to give only them gaming privileges which makes it difficult to allow gaming in prison. So, when they get out, they can freely play as they want. 

12 hours ago, Jayson said:

I think there should be REAL CHANGE before they are allowed video games.  I mean, talking about people who have become Born Again Christians or something.  OK, I would say the same for other perks (things allowed for good behavior).

It's hard to say changes. For example some people who became homeless because of the drug addiction, can't be changed. some people who became homeless because of the alimony payments, you can't really fix them either because they are attacked through financial side. so prison is often a good place for them where they have peace.. i don't think gaming is helpful for them. 

18 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Guys with all do respect you dont know nothing about prison, its a whole different world. As well anything can be obtained inside Prison, you dont need to be "allowed", cellphones, drugs, money, Alcohol,  hell I dont think that having a gameboy inside there will be an issue.

Excuse me for asking but how do you know? :v

I believe depriving a person of their freedom is already a harsh punishment, and that the main purpose for doing so should be for the safety of others, not for punishment or justice. Ideally, I'd prefer a system geared toward rehabilitation. I see no reason not to give prisoners video games, especially if they behave. In all frankness, a lot of the crap that goes on in prisons probably could be reduced if prisoners were not so bored to begin with.