Register Now
Alexander.

Gaming in prisions

18 hours ago, LadyDay said:

Guess prisons are different. Big country and all. Assuming you're in the US? It's been different for the two I know. I'm glad you and the others with you had lots of stuff to do. I can't even imagine what it's like to be stuck in a tiny cell for extended periods! I'd go mental! Either way, glad you're out. 🙂 

Yes, I'm in the US. I did my time, and I'm out and free. And for those wondering, It was a tricky case. I was out and ended up putting a guy in the hospital in self defense. The club owner had a no tolerance policy for fighting, and with how bad I hurt the guy, I had to do some time. So I was locked up. His girlfriend, my friends, and several onlookers testified on my behalf, which lowered the judges sentencing, but I still did some time.

20 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

When I was inside, we all had a job. We had a few hours in the yard, about 40 minutes at chow, and the majority of the day at the job they assigned us, and a lot of time in our cells. Virtually anything that wasn't "bought" at the prison was contraband, and got you sent to the hole for a minimum of 3 days. And it doesn't matter who you are or what you're in for, you're gonna go to the hole at least once. It's like hockey players. They're gonna spend time in the penalty box, there's no way around it. It's a pretty full day.

Prisons I think are moving away from where they  (prisoners) are in a cell all the time.  It's becoming more work oriented.  However, there are ethical debates involved.  Anyway, there's not much time for gaming!

Edited by Jayson

19 hours ago, LadyDay said:

Sister from another mister 😄

Agreed. And surely the goal of prison should be to minimize crime too, not to increase it! Minimizing it is done by treating people as people and helping them back on track. Focusing solely on punishment, with no eye to the future of the individual, just creates more trouble and more broken people who can't function in normal society. So they keep yoyo'ing in and out of prison. Maximizing freedom should definitely be the philosophy. 

And working all day (not just 8 hours. All day.) for 35 cents per hour is borderline slavery. They need a gaming-break! 🙂 

Exactly. A lot of ex-cons have a difficult or impossible time re-integrating into society, both because of the bad habits that they ingrained in prison and because of the lack of support for them after getting out. 

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Yes, I'm in the US. I did my time, and I'm out and free. And for those wondering, It was a tricky case. I was out and ended up putting a guy in the hospital in self defense. The club owner had a no tolerance policy for fighting, and with how bad I hurt the guy, I had to do some time. So I was locked up. His girlfriend, my friends, and several onlookers testified on my behalf, which lowered the judges sentencing, but I still did some time.

I'm sure no one is judging you 🙂 And if they are they're idiots. 

The thing is that we often think about it from our perspective and not through the laws and the process in the society. We try to defy things based on emotions and ignore the logic all the time. That approach does not help in case of allowing criminals in prison to do everything. 

I think it depends on the crime. First, I think all non violent offenses should be separated from violent offenders. I know that doesn't mean a fight won't happen, but it's a start. Those nonviolent inmates should be allowed to have access to games. The other ones need more rehabilitation. It makes no sense that a person goes to prison for a little weed in their pocket, and get thrown into the same crowd as others who stabbed someone or worse. So I say for games-yes and no. 

And what about the recidivism rates if this were in place? Commit a minor crime. Get time. Free meals and video games. This would have to be implemented on a "Want it? Earn it." basis. I like the idea, but I don't see it actually working.