Register Now
Alexander.

Games on Linux

On 8/26/2020 at 11:09 AM, Oliver said:

GoG has a huge Linux support. The only way to get the situation even better is to vote with your wallet. Buy games under linux and play them under linux to make the stats matter gor devs

Yes and also the EA and the SEGA has full time plans on releasing the games for linux. As long as you can find good games from the companies then Linux can be a good option. 

Steam supports linux along with bunch of popular games such as CS:GO, what's surprising is that games on Linux performs way better than they do in Windows, but the issues is that there are only few ones to exist for the platform

RAM usage shouldn't be a concern either way if you're using a modern standard amount such as 8GB or more. FreeSync isn't supported on Linux yet unfortunately, but will be eventually apparently in some undefined amount of time. Fortunately modern AMD cards like the RX 580 are among the best supported on Linux currently. Performance should be about the same on any modern distro, though expect it to be less than running games on Windows in a lot of cases.

As for games that are best, it's highly subjective, but in terms of performance, Dota 2 runs quite well in my experience.

To my knowledge, DX12 isn't the best yet. You can probably get it running in DX11. Will it stutter? Maybe? In general I'd advise against having too higher expectations for Wine performance. Things can also be a bit of a headache to get running in Wine too sometimes. Better to think of it as a bonus to tinker with rather than relying on it as a core part of using Linux.

Linux handles RAM and disk management way better than Apple and Windows. The only concern being a lot of users on Linux are non payers for the games. And that shows from developer interest too. Other than that humble bundle has plenty of regular updates on linux based games. 

Yeah, Linux is becoming an option for gamers. And, for those games not yet supported, people have found workarounds that can get them to work. I forget the site, but there is a site that makes it possible to play some non-linux supported games. 

And of course, you can try wine or playOnLinux. 

I mostly game on Windows, but Linux is becoming more and more of a viable option.