Register Now
StaceyPowers

"Boring" tasks you enjoy in video games

11 minutes ago, DylanC said:

Though many gamers find grinding boring, I actually find grinding in well made JRPGs quite relaxing and meditative. As a result, my mileage with grind-y RPGs is pretty loose and laidback. 

What JRPGs do you recommend? I'm quite unfamiliar with the genre.

2 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

What JRPGs do you recommend? I'm quite unfamiliar with the genre.

I missed out on some classic JRPGs like Chrono Trigger (it’s a game I really want to come to Switch 🤞🏼) so many JRPGs I love are more modern.

Here’s some off the top of my head. I Am Setsuna has a beautiful soundtrack, touching story and is a great one imho. The original Ni No Kuni on PS3 is terrific with a great art style and a poignant, emotional narrative. Persona 4 Golden, Demon Gaze and Lost Dimension are fun JRPGs I’ve enjoyed on the PS Vita (which is basically a JRPG machine).

If you want to ease yourself into the genre, Child Of Light is a great starting point. Love that game so much!

22 minutes ago, DylanC said:

I missed out on some classic JRPGs like Chrono Trigger (it’s a game I really want to come to Switch 🤞🏼) so many JRPGs I love are more modern.

Here’s some off the top of my head. I Am Setsuna has a beautiful soundtrack, touching story and is a great one imho. The original Ni No Kuni on PS3 is terrific with a great art style and a poignant, emotional narrative. Persona 4 Golden, Demon Gaze and Lost Dimension are fun JRPGs I’ve enjoyed on the PS Vita (which is basically a JRPG machine).

If you want to ease yourself into the genre, Child Of Light is a great starting point. Love that game so much!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I have been intrigued by Child of Light, largely because of the art style.

I collect all sorts of spells in FF8. All the way up until disc 3 I'm constantly drawing. The spells I junction make my characters virtually invincible, so the game is easier on me. Some of the spells would shock some people that I have a full hundred if they didn't know where to look for them. Spells like Ultima, Aura, Full-Life, Holy, Triple, Meteor, and Flare junction extremely well. If you junction enough Ultimas and Full-Lifes  to your elemental defense, all elemental attacks will actually heal you instead of harm you. Meteor is the best spell in the game to junction to your HP. It easily boosts you to the full 9999. Some of these spells you can get from refining items, but they take a long time, and you have to have the right GF's with the right abilities. If you don't then all you can do is draw.

There's some trade secrets to the game, but it's worth it. Also there are 16 GF's in the game, but most people can't find a lot of them without a players guide. Who here doesn't know where to get Doomtrain, Tonberry, Bahamut, Eden and Diablos?

I will say looting, but I mean looting every single thing that can be looted, every drawer , box, chest on any game where this is possible I cant help the need of exploring and looting every single corner of the game even if its a waste of time I at least want to know that it was empty, if I miss something it gives me like anxiety.

Exploration, managing my planets and engaging in the simulated politics of various Stellaris playthroughs. Also, exploration in Minecraft.

Admittedly, the simulated politics of the former are more enjoyable when done with other human players than with the AI. Human players are less predictable.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:38 PM, The Blackangel said:

I collect all sorts of spells in FF8. All the way up until disc 3 I'm constantly drawing. The spells I junction make my characters virtually invincible, so the game is easier on me. Some of the spells would shock some people that I have a full hundred if they didn't know where to look for them. Spells like Ultima, Aura, Full-Life, Holy, Triple, Meteor, and Flare junction extremely well. If you junction enough Ultimas and Full-Lifes  to your elemental defense, all elemental attacks will actually heal you instead of harm you. Meteor is the best spell in the game to junction to your HP. It easily boosts you to the full 9999. Some of these spells you can get from refining items, but they take a long time, and you have to have the right GF's with the right abilities. If you don't then all you can do is draw.

There's some trade secrets to the game, but it's worth it. Also there are 16 GF's in the game, but most people can't find a lot of them without a players guide. Who here doesn't know where to get Doomtrain, Tonberry, Bahamut, Eden and Diablos?

Funny enough, I found all of the Gfs on my own and it was due to me constantly drawing as well. I used to junction Ultima and Full-Life as well.

16 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Funny enough, I found all of the Gfs on my own and it was due to me constantly drawing as well. I used to junction Ultima and Full-Life as well.

Same here. But seriously, how many people do you think were checking Tears Point for anything GF related? And with as remote as the deep sea research lab is, who's gonna know it's even there unless they happen upon it by accident? Also unless you already know about them and you're after Odin or Tonberry specifically, would there even be a reason to give a slight bit of a shit about the Centra Ruins? If you want Diablos just make sure to talk to Cid when you get your first SeeD mission before you leave the screen or you're screwed.

Edited by The Blackangel

Like in Price of Persia, you have some doors to open by finding the clutches. And also the games where you have to put all the rocks or gems in order to open stuff or doors and portals type. I think those tasks can be fun. 

Strangely enough, exploring and looting for me.

Plundering every single thing that can be stolen, every closet, every crate, every chest on where it's possible. I can't really help the need of exploring and finding various objects. It's difficult to explain although I feel a nice sense of accomplishment. 

15 hours ago, xXInfectedXx said:

Strangely enough, exploring and looting for me.

I think looting pretty much fun in the GTA. I don't know about any other game. As for exploring I think No mans sky is pretty much pain on the exploring. But it has it's some good points too.