Register Now
StaceyPowers

Stupidly obvious things developers neglect

In this thread, @kingpotato and I were talking about things we would like to see improved on in the next Elder Scrolls game, and we got to talking about how in Skyrim, you can't fight effectively on horseback, and your "warhorse" doesn't fight unless you dismount.

How the devs didn't think to make your horse ... useful ... in combat, is beyond me.

What are some stupidly obvious things developers have neglected in your favorite games?

One that baffled me was the lack of gore on God of War for the PS4, like seriously for those who played the whole game you will notice that you dont tend to see a lot of blood.
I'm not sure if this was done on purpose but going back to the previous god of war games the deaths where very gruesome. It didnt ruin the game and its still a 10/10 game but I was very surprised. 

Here is one so obvious I forgot, On most COD games if you are playing local with bots or friends you cant pause the game. I mean I understand that while playing online you cant pause the game but if you are playing against bots or your friends on the same damn room you should be able to pause the game.

I have another one - actually making a completely functional game without bugs. I find it irritating that some developers are giving us the players unfinished products and then coming with day-one patches. If the game isn't finished - work on it for crying out loud.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:36 AM, StaceyPowers said:

In this thread, @kingpotato and I were talking about things we would like to see improved on in the next Elder Scrolls game, and we got to talking about how in Skyrim, you can't fight effectively on horseback, and your "warhorse" doesn't fight unless you dismount.

How the devs didn't think to make your horse ... useful ... in combat, is beyond me.

What are some stupidly obvious things developers have neglected in your favorite games?

OMG it seems its actually possible to attack while horse riding. I just tried it right now and it worked. Originally I had the normal version of Skyrim and now I have the legendary edition and on this version it seems you can. I was wrong it seems but it might be because of the version.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:43 PM, killamch89 said:

I can name one. In Skyrim, you can't jump and attack...I can't even imagine how they could overlook something so simple and the next one is using magic while riding a horse.

I think they overlooked a lot of things with Skyrim, lol. But yeah, some kind of better lunging attack would be nice, something that does a better job at closing the distance.

I remember that some of the survival games often forget the angle through which we can kill the enemy. They also forget the AI detection in many context, so you get to kill the enemy easily. So I think some mistakes are often intentional. 

29 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

@kingpotato Wow, I'm glad to know they fixed it! I don't have that version, so alas I must continue to dismount to attack =D

@Christopher Robin One can press L2 (I think?) to sprint, which may be what you are looking for. 

Yeah it surprised me as well, I got the legendary edition sometime ago but I never played it past the first dragon encounter, you can also use arrows but its hard to aim.

27 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah it surprised me as well, I got the legendary edition sometime ago but I never played it past the first dragon encounter, you can also use arrows but its hard to aim.

Lol, that'd add nothing for me. I can't aim with those things worth a damn when standing still. Attempting to do it on hosreback would actually speed my demise.

Anyone ever noticed those boxed glitches. Like when a person moves into the tree and the upper portion of the tree looks like some box? I had that glitch in most of the games, it's hard to have realistic tree. 

On 5/26/2019 at 6:53 AM, skyfire said:

Anyone ever noticed those boxed glitches. Like when a person moves into the tree and the upper portion of the tree looks like some box? I had that glitch in most of the games, it's hard to have realistic tree. 

on what game ?

On 5/26/2019 at 8:53 AM, skyfire said:

What game are you talking about and on what system?