Register Now
Alexander.

Cheating guides

What are your feelings about Cheating Guides that are on the Internet for gamers? Are you against for for them? Why?

Personally, I believe the fun is massively ruined from using these types of guides. You should always try and solve the challenge yourself first before cheating in a video game. 

I would like to say that I'm kind of neutral about cheating game guides. Although, I'm not sure if I would ever use it for my gaming tasks but I'm not going to be against those who see it as an integral part of gaming. 

So, in my book, it's a matter of choice to make use of it or stay away from it. 

I think it takes away from the game to use a guide from start to finish all the time. But if there's a puzzle you just absolutely can't figure out, an item you're missing but don't know where to look, or a collection of items(think gold skulltulas in Zelda OoT) that is eluding you, then guides are fine. If you know a game well, but there's something you keep forgetting that you need or want, as I seem to do in massive quantities, then using a guide to remind you is fine as well. But studying it word for word, page for page, just to get through it, defeats the purpose of playing the game in my opinion.

Like with the guide for FF8. They give suggestions for everything, but especially bosses. Their suggestions never worked for me. Take the second round against Edea. They suggested Gf's and spells. Nope, I get my ass handed to me. For me it's auras and physical attacks. That's the style that works for me throughout the game. Physical attacks. Everyone plays different, but if you let a guide dictate your game play style, then you're not playing. You're following orders, and the game isn't boot camp (you know what I mean).

I always use them and to be fair, I see no issue in using them. I always give things a shot a couple times and if I just can't get my head around it I'll pop onto Google and have a little look around for a solution. Recently started playing RDR2 so it was actually quite useful because I had no idea how things work lol. I thought I could be a good boy and get that $300 bounty of my head but oh no...

Those lovely gold bars from the puzzles helped though, as did the guides in this instance! I do appreciate how it can be viewed as just hooking my way through a game on the words of others though, i would never 100% guide walk myself through a game. That does indeed, as @The Blackangel said, defeat the purpose. 

On 3/22/2019 at 3:21 PM, The Blackangel said:

I think it takes away from the game to use a guide from start to finish all the time. But if there's a puzzle you just absolutely can't figure out, an item you're missing but don't know where to look, or a collection of items(think gold skulltulas in Zelda OoT) that is eluding you, then guides are fine. If you know a game well, but there's something you keep forgetting that you need or want, as I seem to do in massive quantities, then using a guide to remind you is fine as well. But studying it word for word, page for page, just to get through it, defeats the purpose of playing the game in my opinion.

Like with the guide for FF8. They give suggestions for everything, but especially bosses. Their suggestions never worked for me. Take the second round against Edea. They suggested Gf's and spells. Nope, I get my ass handed to me. For me it's auras and physical attacks. That's the style that works for me throughout the game. Physical attacks. Everyone plays different, but if you let a guide dictate your game play style, then you're not playing. You're following orders, and the game isn't boot camp (you know what I mean).

Exactly, it's more like allowing yourself to be completely controlled and directed my the cheat guide which just makes you a puppet in the game play. It kinda takes away the actual fun and suspense of playing the game head on and proving your expertise. 

Personally, it's so sad some gamers allows themselves to sink this low with their gaming. 

Well, if the goal is to beat a game - and there's just no chance of getting past a level in a reasonable amount of time - then a cheat guide is often the best bet.  Nonetheless, I want to smack myself after using one - cause I think, "Why didn't I see that?", lol.   Anyone similar?

On 3/22/2019 at 7:21 AM, The Blackangel said:

I'm on the same page with you. I usually like to try and find my own way through a game as best I can, but now and again, there's something that's massively detracting from my enjoyment of the game. Usually I either am looking in the wrong place (i.e. can't find those stupid animals or chains to pull in Skyrim), or I don't understand the parameters of the puzzle in order to solve it. When that happens, I will check YouTube.

Not really, I like to beat my games fair and square. If that is what somebody else wants to do, they are well within their right and I won't judge you but I like overcoming my challenges the hard way. It feels like an accomplishment to beat a difficult stage/level.

I only hate the ones that are related to online games, singleplayer ones shouldn't be an issue as people can't harm you by using them, but i personally wouldn't cheat on both, online and offline, cheating online kills competition, where's the fun in letting scripts do everything for you, and cheating offline kills the fun in the game because it gets easier than it's supposed to be

On 4/15/2019 at 6:34 AM, killamch89 said:

Not really, I like to beat my games fair and square. If that is what somebody else wants to do, they are well within their right and I won't judge you but I like overcoming my challenges the hard way. It feels like an accomplishment to beat a difficult stage/level.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no need to judge those who decide it's their best way of playing. It's never going to change anything, so why stress my life over it.